XtraDB unavailable?

Using a clean Debian 6 (x64) server (with no previous instances of MySQL), I installed Percona Server using the aptitude/repo option, and the installation went off without a hitch. (Yes, I even installed the GPG keys as ascribed from the repo instruction page.)

I set the root password during installation, created a database, then started creating some tables to do some testing.

However, I ran into a bizarre problem, and I’m hoping someone can help me.

When I specified the storage engine as XtraDB, then later examined the table, the storage engine was InnoDB. Similarly, if I try to alter an existing table to change it to XtraDB, it just stays at InnoDB with no errors or warnings.

(I was using MySQL Workbench to interact with the server, but I should also note that directly connecting to the server from the console and issuing the same commands had no effect on the outcome.)

It was my understanding that once you installed Percona Server, XtraDB just sort of came with it. However, I cannot seem to be able to create any tables that utilize it.

Stranger still, I cannot locate any configuration file that the server would be using. (Do I need to manually conjure one up myself? If so, where do I put it? Since the server is running, what exactly is it using as a basis for configuration in the absence of a specific configuration file?)

The output of:

SELECT @@VERSION, @@VERSION_COMMENT;

…confirms that it’s Percona server at the most recent version.

However, the output of:

SHOW ENGINES;

…does not list XtraDB.

I’m sure I am making a “noob” mistake here, but I’m not sure what I’ve done wrong. I thought that once we installed Percona Server, we’d be able to hit the ground running using XtraDB tables.

What am I missing?

I appreciate any help or insight/ideas anyone might have.

XtraDB is an enhanced version of the InnoDB plugin. You use ENGINE=INNODB, SHOW ENGINE INNODB STATUS, etc for compatibility with existing InnoDB installations that switch to Percona Server.

You can use SHOW ENGINES to verify that you are using XtraDB. The Comment field for the INNODB storage engine will contain the string ‘Percona-XtraDB’.