Adding node removes all other nodes

I am not sure if I’m doing this right.

I have several servers I need to add to my PMM Server.

I run:
pmm-admin config --server-insecure-tls --server-url=https://admin:admin@<mypmm-address>:443 192.168.65.90 generic myserver1

When I do that, the other servers disappear.

I check with:
pmm-admin inventory list nodes

And I get:
Failed to get PMM Server parameters from local pmm-agent: pmm-agent is not connected to PMM Server.

Why does it remove all the other nodes when I connect a node? Do I need to add all the nodes from a single server?

1 Like

Hi @csheridan thank you for posting to the Percona forums!

Adding a new node should not remove any other nodes. Your pmm-admin config command syntax looks accurate.

Your error message seems as if the pmm-agent process isn’t running. Can you check with:

systemctl status pmm-agent

If it is stopped, start it up and then check the inventory list again

systemctl start pmm-agent

I can confirm it is running:

● pmm-agent.service - pmm-agent
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pmm-agent.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2023-01-26 11:08:49 CST; 11min ago
   Main PID: 11667 (pmm-agent)
      Tasks: 21 (limit: 76623)
     Memory: 13.1M
     CGroup: /system.slice/pmm-agent.service
             └─11667 /usr/sbin/pmm-agent --config-file=/usr/local/percona/pmm2/config/pmm-agent.yaml

So, if I have 5 servers I need to send data to PMM, I need to run the command on each server, correct?

Because when I run this command:

pmm-admin config --force --server-insecure-tls --server-url=https://admin:admin@<pmm-url>:443 192.168.65.90 generic <server name>

I get:

Checking local pmm-agent status...
pmm-agent is running.
Registering pmm-agent on PMM Server...
Registered.
Configuration file /usr/local/percona/pmm2/config/pmm-agent.yaml updated.
Reloading pmm-agent configuration...
Configuration reloaded.
Checking local pmm-agent status...
pmm-agent is running.

However, when I run:

pmm-admin inventory list nodes

I get:

Failed to get PMM Server parameters from local pmm-agent: pmm-agent is not connected to PMM Server.

Hey guess what? I was using the wrong port because the PMM Server is proxied. No wonder it wasn’t working.

What version of PMM are you running as well as client?

when you run pmm-admin status is a similar error returned?

The only thing that is coming to mind is if you possibly changed ports/IP’s that pmm-agent is running on…I think there’s a bug where you can change the port, start the server but certain commands assume a default 127.0.0.1 IP and port 7777 so if it’s not there it’ll fail.

**Edit** just saw your answer…I’ll leave here for anyone else that may have an issue now there’s two things to check!