Duplicate nodes after add remote PostgresInstance

Hello.
I installed PMM server and client according to

I installed an agent on my Linux where I have PostgreSQL. I immediately saw my node on OS Tab.
After adding the remote Postgresql instance, another node without metrics appeared in the OS tab.
Is this correct PMM behavior?

In the list of nodes, I see a Generic node, for which information on metrics is collected in the OS panel. And a Remote node, for which only information about the presence of a DB Instance is visible in the OS panel.
It confuses me a little, because. it’s the same server.

Hello,

Welcome to the percona community forum.

From the details you have shared, my understanding is that you have two servers,

1. Node 1 ( PMM is installed)
  2. Node 2 ( Linux server with the Postgres database and PMM client)

You have followed the below steps.

1. On node1, installed the PMM.
  2. On node 2, installed the PMM client.
  3. Registered the client node (node2) with PMM.
  4. Registered/Added the Postgres service with the PMM.

Please find below my comments on your queries.

After adding the remote Postgresql instance, another node without metrics appeared in the OS tab.

You should not have 3 O.S nodes for the two servers in the O.S Tab.

The behaviour of the PMM

1. After installing the PMM on node 1, you will get one node (pmm-server) in each tab (O.S (Home) and PostgreSQL) of the PMM dashboard.

2. After installing the PMM client and Registering the client node (node2) with PMM Server, You will get the second node in the O.S tab. You will have only a single node in the PostgreSQL tab at this stage.

3. After adding the Postgresql service (from node 2) with the PMM, you will get the second node in the PostgreSQL Tab.

Above is the step-by-step behaviour of the PMM when you add the remote node.

Thanks.

1 Like