Xtrabackup Report using PMM

Hello Percona Community,

We have requirement to generate Perocna Xtrabackup weekly report. How can we achieve this?

we have schedule xtrabackup using crontab and now we want to generate report using PMM tools , is it possible to generate backup report using PMM tool?

1 Like

Hi @Pavanmysql thank you for posting to the Percona forums!

What details are you looking for in your backup report? Is this for items such as duration, success, failure, size, etc? Since Percona XtraBackup 2.2 we have included a Backup History --history option where we store these data points back into the database being backed up. Let us know if this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks @Michael_Coburn for quick response on this forums.

What details are you looking for in your backup report? Is this for items such as duration, success, failure, size, etc?

Yes , such type of information i required in report so that i can show weekly backup report to client.

Yes this will surely helpful if it capture weekly data and i can prepare this as a reports for client. Also please explain me how to get this report ? or automate this weekly basis.

Below version details of mysql and xtrabackup

mysql> select version();
±----------------------------+
| version() |
±----------------------------+
| 5.7.39-0ubuntu0.18.04.2-log |

xtrabackup --version

xtrabackup: recognized server arguments: --server-id=1 --datadir=/volumes/mysql/data/mysql --open_files_limit=65535 --log_bin=/volumes/mysql/binlogs/mysql/mysql-bin --innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1 --innodb_flush_method=O_DIRECT --innodb_buffer_pool_size=16G --innodb_log_file_size=512M --tmpdir=/tmp
xtrabackup version 2.4.24 based on MySQL server 5.7.35 Linux (x86_64) (revision id: b4ee263)

Also We have pmm tool version 2.27.0 installed , is there any inbuild functionality we can generate report for backup?

1 Like

Also how to configure this PERCONA_SCHEMA schema as this is not available on our MySQL 5.7.39 version. to enable this reporting is it require only “percona mysql” version?

1 Like

Hi @Pavanmysql all you need to do is to run xtrabackup with --history parameter:

xtrabackup --backup --history 

This will look if the table is created, will create the table and schema in case it’s not present and populate the table each time you run a backup with --history parameter.

In terms of the report, you can query it normally like any other table and extract the information from it.

2 Likes