Restore a full backup using different version of xtrabackup

Hello!
My database is running mysql 8.0.26, I take its full backup using percona xtrabackup 8.0.26.
Can i restore this backup on a different server running mysql 8.0.35 using percona xtrabackup 8.0.35?

Yes, a backup taken with Percona XtraBackup version 8.0.26 can generally be restored using Percona XtraBackup version 8.0.35. XtraBackup is designed to be forward-compatible across minor version upgrades within the same major release (8.0 in this case), which means backups taken with an earlier minor version can be restored using a later minor version.

However, there are some key considerations:

• Review Release Notes: Check the Percona XtraBackup release notes for both versions to ensure no significant changes impact the restore process.
  • Compatibility Testing: Perform a test restore in a non-production environment to confirm the process works without issues.
  • MySQL Server Version Compatibility: Ensure that the MySQL or Percona Server version used matches the backup requirements, as database server versions may have additional requirements.

Generally, Percona XtraBackup maintains compatibility across minor releases within the same major version.

I strongly recommend you test in a lower environment before you restore your production database.

use same version to restore. then upgrade db and pxb version

Wish I could, second machine is el9 and I cant go below 8.0.30 on el9 so I would have to make a new machine to do this…

Thanks for the reply! Will test it first as suggested.

PXB 8.0.29 release note mention this point

Percona XtraBackup 8.0.29-22 adds new redo log types to support the changes in the INSTANT algorithm behavior. MySQL 8.0.29 extended the support for ALGORITHM=INSTANT to allow columns to be added to any position in a table and column drops. Older versions of Percona XtraBackup are incompatible with MySQL 8.0.29 because of this new functionality.

To sum up;

For MySQL/PXB 8.0 and newer the safest and suggested approach is to restore with same PXB into same MySQL version and then upgrade.

For your specific version (8.0.26) you should do the above.
For newer versions it might work as long as there is no incompatible change but the suggestion is to stick to same version

Regards