PAM Authentication plugin 'dialog'

Good afternoon everyone.

We are using MYSQL Percona 8 with PAM+SSSD+AD authentication. Faced with the fact that authentication works well only on the machine where the server is installed, from the terminal console. When connecting from any other machine, the error is:

ERROR 2059 (HY000): Authentication plugin ‘dialog’ cannot be loaded: /usr/lib/mysql/plugin/dialog.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

At first I thought the problem was in the native mysql client, so I installed Percona-client , it didn’t help, I tried to add dialog.so manually, which resulted in the error:

ERROR 2059 (HY000): Authentication plugin ‘dialog’ cannot be loaded: Incompatible client plugin interface

In the end, I came to the decision that the connection only starts working if percona-server-server is installed on the client machine.

I think this is an absurd solution or a bug, I don’t know.

Tell me how to transfer only the necessary module and make the client work without installing the entire server?

p.s By the way, even the latest DBeaver also cannot work with this, but in the process of torment, it turned out that if you select not “MySQL” but “MariaDB” when connecting, then it successfully connects via PAM. Perhaps this will help someone.

I probably managed to find a solution to a similar problem here for mariadb and redhat. But I don’t know how to build mysql percona client with these modules.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=940720&action=diff

1 Like