How to upgrade PostgreSQL server from one major version to another in 1+n node architecture.(Hotstandby enabled)

Hi, I am a PostgreSQL enthusiast learner and I have a question about upgrade steps.

For Example: 1) one major version to another and you do have replication between whether the nodes at same datacenter or different data centers?

1. Let’s say you have a database that you push that is currently configured with replication. So it’s part of the cluster, yeah. And you’re going to upgrade the major version from X to Y. Let’s say you’re going from 13 to 15, whatever that might be. What considerations do we need to take to minimize the impact to the cluster?

I want to know what the best practices are to follow when upgrading PostgreSQL. , Reference links or steps that will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

The ideal upgrade is to use the CLI pg_upgrade with the hard link option as it is the simplest and for most situations the quickest. That being said these issues are to be kept in mind:

1. Draining application connections: Prior to all upgrades you will need to “cut” off communications between the deprecated server and application clients. Otherwise, you risk losing important data.

2. Upgrading REPLICAs: I suggest you review the documentation here and read up on how rsync is used.

3. Overall Downtime: Like it or not, you’re going to have to schedule downtime. How much time is really dependent upon the architecture and what I will call “runbook” discipline.

Percona Blog References:

Hope this helps

Robert

Thank you for your time and assistance. I appreciate your response and the resources you provided, Rob. They will be helpful for my reference.

Hi,
I’m glad I could help :slight_smile:

1 Like