How to resolve failed to checked for Updates notification

I was unable to find version upgrade option at PMM Upgrade panel on the Home page.
pmm setting → check for upgrade is enabled. please let us know how to overcome it.

please find attachments

Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 3.05.02 PM

Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 3.05.21 PM

Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 3.05.38 PM

Thanks in advance

Are you logged in as “admin” or another user with “admin” role?

Also, your PMM server needs to have internet access to be able to query our repositories for a new version, can you confirm you can ping check.percona.com from your pmm server host?

1 Like

I have login as admin
I did ping check.percona.com from the server
check.percona.com ping statistics —
212 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 211010ms

I did try setting up the proxy this Configure Docker to use a proxy server | Docker Documentation and then daemon reload and restart docker. but still facing the same issue.

1 Like

Well I realized my “ping test” probably wasn’t a good test because we dont’ respond to ping on the check service :man_facepalming: but I just ran into a similar error on my own test instance…before I post the steps for what worked for me can you do the following:

open a shell to your docker container for pmm and tail the logs
#docker exec -it pmm-server bash
#tail -f /srv/logs/pmm-managed.log

in your browser hit the refresh icon for updates and check and see if you have the following:

Starting "yum --verbose info installed pmm-update" ...
error: rpmdb: BDB0113 Thread/process 519/139698439305024 failed: BDB1507 Thread died in Berkeley DB library
error: db5 error(-30973) from dbenv->failchk: BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: cannot open Packages index using db5 -  (-30973)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
CRITICAL:yum.main:

If so I had to do the following inside the container to resolve:

mkdir /var/lib/rpm/backup
cp -a /var/lib/rpm/__db* /var/lib/rpm/backup/
rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.[0-9][0-9]*
rpm --quiet -qa
rpm --rebuilddb
yum clean all
2 Likes

Ran above mentioned log check command

please find the log error

Starting “yum --verbose info updates pmm-update” …

Loading “changelog” plugin

Loading “fastestmirror” plugin

Loading “ovl” plugin

Config time: 0.018

rpmdb time: 0.000

ovl: Copying up (0) files from OverlayFS lower layer

Yum version: 3.4.3

Building updates object

Setting up Package Sacks

Determining fastest mirrors

. Error: signal: killed component=supervisord/pmm-update-checker

WARN[2021-04-08T04:29:51.671+00:00] RPC /server.Server/CheckUpdates done in 30.001636314s with gRPC error: rpc error: code = Unavailable desc = failed to check for updates request=fda508c0-9822-11eb-9be3-0242ac110002

Regards,
Ramya

1 Like

:man_facepalming: I keep forgetting this…while the HTTP side of the service runs over a typical webservice the content exchange is done via gRPC and so requires additional configuration of your proxy. What proxy are you using to enable your pmm server to access the internet? I know we do proxying via nginx with gRPC endpoints but might have to do a little digging on others but I think we can provide a workable solution (and update our documentation for the next person to encounter it!)

2 Likes

We are setting proxy like this similar with our proxy end points
https://docs.docker.com/network/proxy/

1 Like

We were able fix it, by setting proxy in run mode.
Thank you @steve.hoffman

1 Like