Community to Percona exact same version still mysql_upgrade? or not.

Hello everyone,

Simple question yet I’ve been unable to find anything really solid as an answer.

Short background - I have several Production boxes running RHEL 5.8; the VAR I was using provided me a custom compiled version of MySQL 5.1.49 ( but still packaged as RPMs )… which kept crashing under heavy load ( ~3k QPS ) ( and bit of time on google implied I hit a known bug that needed a newer MySQL 5.1.x ) - yet my VAR for months now has not been able to deliver…

SO…

I gave up on the VAR; downloaded the RPMs for MySQL Community 5.1.66. Shutdown MySQL 5.1.49 - did the old - rpm -Uvh - thing… ( as I verified all file/directories between Custom 5.1.49 and Community 5.1.66 matched ) - i.e. I used Community 5.1.66 to overwrite all existing binaries.

Restarted MySQL now 5.1.66 - ran mysql_upgrade… and voila - all was good…

SORTA…

No more crashes… But now it seems like I have a “bursty” system ( fast… slow… fast… slow… etc, VERY ANNOYING )… so I want off this Community thing - and onto Percona.

So here’s the question.

I downloaded the RPMs for Percona 5.1.66.

I’m currently on MySQL Community 5.1.66.

Can I just shutdown Community 5.1.66 - do the rpm -Uvh - onto Percona 5.1.66 - and restart MySQL - and I’m good?

Or… do I need to run - mysql_upgrade? As I am staying on the exact same version of MySQL. In this case 5.1.66.

And now that I’m thinking about it…

I have a mix of MyISAM, Memory, and InnoDB tables.

DO I need to do anything interesting to make these work with Percona Server 5.1.66? I keep seeing that Percona uses XtraDB that is an advanced version of Innodb? SO… do I need to alter the existing Innodb tables to use - XtraDB engine instead?

Or does Percona Server - just know that when someone wants the InnoDB Engine - it just internally uses the XtraDB engine instead?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Michael

Mysqld_upgrade or alter table is not necessary; it will use XtraDB right away on your InnoDB tables. You can always go back to vanilla MySQL as long as you don’t use any of the features mentioned in http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-server/5.5/compatibility. html

Thanks for the quick response, and great info.

I’ve moved my other question about RHEL or CentOS rpm upgrade process moved to it’s own thread:

“RHEL or CentOS - upgrade process community to percona or…”

-Michael