Proxysql-admin utility

Hi,

I think the documentation about proxysql-admin utility configuration file is very confusing and not clear at all.

1. proxysql.user : Is it the user used to connect to proxysql instance from proxysql-admin ?
  2. cluster.user : Is it the user to be used for admin tasks in xtradb cluster nodes ? If Yes, which privileges should have ? Shoud i give a SUPER privilege ?
  3. cluster-app.user : Is it the user used by the applications to connect to xtradb nodes through proxysql ? If yes, how to add more than one user, should i create a new line in proxysql-admin config file for each user?
  4. monitor.user : This is only configuration really clear. It is the user used to monitor xtradb cluster nodes
  5. without-cluster-app-user : How can be used, and for which purpose.? Also, it seems to be conflicting with cluster-app.user.

Can you clarify which , from the above users, are optional or required ?

And what about if i need to use one instance proxysql to manage more than one separated xtrdadb clusters. For instance, one cluster is formed by node1,node2, node3 and the second cluster is formed by nodeA, nodeB, nodeC . The two clusters are separated on share nothing. Can i use a single proxysql-admin config file to manage the two xtradb clusters ?

Honestly, the only useful function in proxysql-admin utility is --syncusers. As it allows to users added in mysql to be copied into proxysql tables.

Which are the minimal configuration options should be used the enable and use only syncusers function ?

For all other admin tasks, i prefer to continue using the mysql interface.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for using ProxySQL admin scripts.

1. proxysql.user (PROXYSQL_USERNAME) is the admin user to connect to the ProxySQL instance (Admin interface). The proxysql-admin script connects to ProxySQL Admin interface to create entries for mysql_servers and other tables.

2. cluster.user (CLUSTER_USERNAME) is the user used by the proxysql-admin script to connect to the PXC nodes to check the status of the server. This connection performs various activties like

• Creating the monitor and cluster app users
    • granting them necessary privileges on the cluster nodes,
    • get the list of users (queries mysql.user table) when used with --syncusers

So, make sure you create this user with necessary privileges on PXC nodes before running proxysql-admin scripts.

3. cluster-app.user (CLUSTER_APP_USERNAME) : It is the user used by the applications to connect to xtradb nodes through proxysql (client interface).

If yes, how to add more than one user, should i create a new line in proxysql-admin config file for each user?

proxysql-admin script is designed to setup only one application user to connet to PXC through ProxySQL. So, multiple users are not supported currently.

1. without-cluster-app-user : When this option is not specified, then the proxysql-admin script will create the user passed by the CLUSTER_APP_USERNAME in PXC nodes with CLUSTER_APP_PASSWORD as the password. If passed with this option, the script skips creating the users in PXC nodes.

Please let us know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,
Venkatesh Prasad