Prometheus and PMM

I have a hard time understanding the role of the PMM service
In my K8S cluster, I have Prometheus as a monitoring tool which I use to monitor virtually everything
Now, using Percona for MySQL I understand that in order to monitor the Percona Cluster I need PMM
is that true or I can use Prometheus for that?
If that is true how can I connect the Prometheus monitoring with PMM I would like to have one monitoring solution in my cluster
tried to find documentation about it but failed

Percona Monitoring and Management (PMM) offers additional monitoring functionality - goes much deeper than what Prometheus install in Kubernetes can offer, for example deep insights into specific query performance.

1 Like

Thank you for your response
That is great :slight_smile:
And I have no issue with PMM
but still, it would be great if I could have one system in my cluster that enables me to understand if there are issues
If I have to dig deeper them PMM is the right way to go
Is there a way to integrate the two?

1 Like

Yes. We’re looking how to have PMM get more info from your Kubernetes cluster so it is all available in PMM

1 Like

Ok, assuming I want to stay with Prometheus is there exporters that the PMM supply that I can use to send the metrics to Prometheus?

1 Like

I wanted to add more as the motivation
Using Percona IMOP is for managing the database needs, this includes monitoring for sure.
But if by choosing Percona I must also switch the monitoring tool I am using (may it whatever tool I am using) this, again IMOP will prevent users from using Percona.
Monitoring and Database management is two different things.
I really would like to know how I can use the Percona cluster but not using the PMM as my only monitoring tool for all other services.
Having two different monitoring tool is not a good solution
Hope is more clear now

1 Like

@Nehemia you do not have to use PMM if you do not want to.
You can deploy our database operators without PMM.
In the next version we will support sidecar containers and you can deploy monitoring agent for your favorite monitoring system using sidecar.

1 Like

Thank you, so when deploying the cluster with the monitoring on I get all the metrics in a way Prometheus will be able to collect?

1 Like

@Nehemia you will need to provide a sidecar container with node_exporter and mysql_exporter inside to collect metrics for Prometheus

2 Likes

Ok now it is clear thanks

1 Like