Percona Cluster v8.0 EOL?

Hello,

MySQL 8.0 will be EOL in 1 year and 10 months.

Do you plan to release a new version in the next few months?

I saw that there was version 8.3 for Percona Server but nothing for Cluster.

Thanks

Yathus

Hello @Yathus, AFAIK there will be a PXC 8.4 which is the next LTS version of MySQL.

Hi.

I wanted to officially respond to this question.

Percona XtraDB Cluster is one of the most useful pieces of software for MySQL users and continues to be in high demand. We are wrapping up the work on version 8.4.0 and it will be released in several weeks, once all the development work and tests are completed.

In parallel we continue to release the minor versions of Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0.x, with version 8.0.37 coming up shortly as well.

After the release of LTS version 8.4.0 we will also keep a quarterly cadence of releasing minor versions of 8.4.x.

Currently we plan to NOT release any Innovation Releases for Percona MySQL software (i.e. 9.0.0, 9.1.0, 9.2.0, 9.3.0, 9.4.0, 9.5.0 and 9.6.0) because of very poor adoption of these types of releases which we have observed in 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3. We’d rather spend our efforts and resources on improving the LTS versions. A separate communication on that topic will be released shortly.

In case you are confused about what LTS and Innovation Releases are, here is a reference: https://blogs.oracle.com/mysql/post/introducing-mysql-innovation-and-longterm-support-lts-versions

Cheers,
Bartek Gatz
Group PM at Percona

2 Likes