Is there any plan to support physical backup from MongoDB's Operator?

Since PBM v1.7.0 have already support physical backup for MongoDB with specified version, does the operator for MongoDB have plan to support this feature? It seems to me that latest implementation of operator does not support this feature. Thank you

2 Likes

Hello @Xiaolu - yeah, we have it in our roadmap.
As of now physical backups are not GA in PBM, but we will start working on its implementation shortly.

Could you tell me what is the use case for you? Usually physical backups are used for big data sets to speed up recovery. How big is the database that you run with the Operator?

1 Like

Hello @spronin, Thank you for your prompt response.
We have verified current logical backup for about 50G+ mongodb will take hours, so it is better to have physical backup as another option.
Also I found some historical discuss about supporting physical backup vs partial backup (say only backup some collections or DB). Is there some conflict or special thoughts for those two features on implementation?

2 Likes

Hey @Xiaolu , understood, thank you.

As for partial backup - we don’t have it yet in PBM and it is in our roadmap. I would say that first we need to go GA with physical and focus next on partial (which would be obviously logical).

1 Like

Hi, @spronin, do you have some potential date for GA of physical backup? Is it possibility that I came up with PR for you guys to review so that speed this process up?

1 Like

I would expect to have physical backups as GA in PBM by mid Q3.

And definitely PRs are always welcome :slight_smile:
I would suggest to come up with the design first and we can have a quick session to discuss it with our engineering team. This is a significant feature and they might provide more context and inputs before writing any code.

1 Like