Intermittent "Got an error reading communication packets"

I am getting these sporadically. A dozen a day or so. I’ve googled for advice and don’t see anything helpful.

140204 17:14:11 [Warning] Aborted connection 10533 to db: ‘aaa’ user: ‘aaa’ host: ‘localhost’ (Got an error reading communication packets)

The client reports:
“Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query: SELECT * FROM events WHERE (( (events.user_id = 73 OR events.other_user_id = 73) ) AND ( events.type in (‘Note’,‘IncludedInBlast’,‘OutgoingEmail’,‘ContactEdited’,‘ReferralNote’) )) ORDER BY events.created_at DESC LIMIT 5”

Everything runs on one computer, no external networking. Client connects with Unix socket.

Host OS: Ubuntu 12.04
Version: ‘5.5.35-33.0-log’ socket: ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ port: 3306 Percona Server (GPL), Release 33.0

The timeouts are beyond any reasonable period:
±---------------------------±---------+
| Variable_name | Value |
| interactive_timeout | 100000 |
| wait_timeout | 100000 |

The packet size is well beyond any single field value:
±-------------------±---------+
| Variable_name | Value |
| max_allowed_packet | 25165824 |

The question: where else can I look for the reason?

Hi,

Can you provide more details like? full error.log file, explain output of that query, show create table events\G, show table status like ‘events’\G and his my.cnf settings?
It would be also helpful if you can provide the output of pt-summary. It is very easy to download and use.
[url]http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-toolkit/2.2/pt-summary.html[/url]