xtrabackup restore error (qpress error)

Hi,
I am trying to validate a database backup here and while running “xtrabackup --decompress” command, hit this error :
$ xtrabackup --decompress --target-dir=/home/xxxxxxxxxx
xtrabackup version 2.4.9 based on MySQL server 5.7.13 Linux (x86_64) (revision id: a467167cdd4)
180210 01:42:32 [01] decompressing ./xtrabackup_logfile.qp
qpress: Unexpected end of source file – try the -R flag to recover
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 0 failed.

then I figure out to use “parallel” option, based on its usage on backup step (if this makes sense …).
But, still :
[[ lot of decompressing messages ]]
180210 01:56:07 [05] decompressing ./mysql/help_category.ibd.qp

[[ in the end …]]
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 1 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 2 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 3 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 4 failed.

So, my question is : am I hitting some sort of bug or file size limit, qpress issue, xtrabackup wrong setup, etc ?
I am not able to decompress all files in order to perform next step (–copy-back).
thank you!

1 Like

Hi svidal , can you try running qpress directly against the *.qp files, then run xtrabackup without --decompress option? Looks to me like you have potentially corrupted compressed files (qpress: Unexpected end of source file). Check the command line options as you might need to attempt recovery: [url]http://www.quicklz.com/[/url]

1 Like

Hi Coburn.
sorry to last that much.
I have to say that I was able to uncompress everything, so corrupted file hypothesis does not fit. I supposed that is something related to threads usage, maybe short memory available, but I could not verify that.
I will keep doing some tests, meanwhile if there is more hints, please let me know.
best regards.

1 Like

Hi svidal , can you reproduce this error? If so we would welcome a bug report at [url]Log in - Percona JIRA

Did you also attempt with qpress directly against the *.qp files? Does it too abort?

1 Like

Hi Coburn, sorry about last thaaaat much. Yes, at that time, I have ran qpress over all files. But thats does not matter, recently I could retrieve successfully a mysql database from one month back. I have to say this is a outstanding tool. Best regards!

1 Like

unfortunately i am facing a similar problem than svidal, it seems xtrabackup is not able to decompress a full back folder 

1 Like

I am Facing this issue Now , Anyone Can help

#Command
innobackupex --decompress --parallel=4 /data/20210205-2000/

–Output–Error
innobackupex version 2.4.20 based on MySQL server 5.7.26 Linux (x86_64) (revision id: c8b4056)
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 1 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 2 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 3 failed.
Error: decrypt and decompress thread 4 failed.

1 Like

To restore full, compressed, incremental, or encrypted backups, add a --copy-back option to restore your backup to the data directory
To restore partial backups, all you have to do is restore all of the tables in the partial backup.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Hi, Gomez,
thank for your time!
this is a very old thread, about an old Xtrabackup version, but maybe this can be still relevant.
Kindly notice the objective, at the time, was to verify backup files, so I came with the idea of decompress files, then send them to another machine and try to bring on mysql instance. Nowadays I agree as a better aproach to install a new machine with all tools and execute a restore with --copy-back option and bring on my instance.
best regards !

Hello Percona team,

This might be a very old thread, but today I’m facing the same issue.
My Full backup size is of 10 TB nearly and the decompressed backup is 1.6 TB. After downloading the backup and decompressing, I’m facing the below error:

[ERROR] [MY-011825] [Xtrabackup] decrypt and decompress thread 21 failed.
[ERROR] [MY-011825] [Xtrabackup] decrypt and decompress thread 25 failed.

Below is the command which I followed:
Command to download the backup from bucket
gsutil -m rsync -r gs://<bucket_file_path> //

Command to decompress
xtrabackup --decompress --remove-original --parallel=30 --target-dir=/

Note: I’m using MySQL v.8.0.x and Xtrabackup version as 8.0.x

I request Percona team to help me out here at the asap. If Percona team is available for a call, we can connect over a call as well.