I am just new to Xtrabackup and going through a few scenarios on my test environment I have.
I have read in the documentation that there is a ‘xtrabackup_binary’ in the backup folder, but I don’t seem to get this when I do my backups?
So my question is, if I want to restore my backup to a brand new server to simulate a total server failure, e.g. fresh build and a fresh build of mysql do I have to do the following:
- new fresh build of my server with same version of mysql installed and all my.conf tweaks carried out.
- have a copy of my backup files on my server ready to restore
- Install Xtrabackup on new server (this is where I though the xtrabackup_binary would have allowed me to restore without installing xtrabackup?)
- stop mysql service on new server
- prepare backup on new server
- restore backup on new server using the copy-back option
- start mysql service
Is that the proper way to restore? Also is it best to prepare on the original server as part of the backup or is it ok to prepare on the replacement server?