Unable to connect to mysql after upgrade to 8.0.34

Hi

I recently tried to upgrade on test server from Percona MySQL version 5.7.40 to Percona MySQL 8.0.34-26

I have followed steps as needed, we had temporal columns, after resolving them mysql is up and running, showing as ready to accept connections in the mysqld.log

I am using default my.cnf after upgrade, changed only data_dir as needed. (mysql.sock file ocation is changed and it is no longer in previous location)

When trying to login, I am getting below error

mysql
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/mysql_data/mysql.sock’ (2)

mysql --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
ERROR 2026 (HY000): SSL connection error: error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed

mysql --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock --ssl-mode=DISABLED
WARNING: no verification of server certificate will be done. Use --ssl-mode=VERIFY_CA or VERIFY_IDENTITY.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘super’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES)

Need to understand what I am missing

I even tried to create new user in my.cnf and restarted mysql and then tried again, but unable to login

@kedarpercona @Mughees_Ahmed would you be able to provide more insights here please?

You supplied an incorrect password. MySQL is telling you “Yes, you did give me a password, but it was wrong for this user.”

Please try logging in with a user using tcp/ip and not the socket. Make sure you also upgraded the mysql client and client libraries.