Pmm user creation doesn't work on MySQL 8.0.20

I installed PMM through the AWS marketplace and after completing the PMM server side instructions, am following along with the client side ones on this page:

However, the command given for creating the pmm user on the RDS instance simply doesn’t work:

GRANT SELECT, PROCESS, REPLICATION CLIENT ON . TO ‘pmm’@‘%’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘pass’ WITH MAX_USER_CONNECTIONS 10;

I get the following response:

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'MAX_USER_CONNECTIONS 10 IDENTIFIED BY ‘password’ at line 1

I have tried various combinations of the command to figure out a fix, but without success.

Could someone please suggest the right syntax?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @fuzzybase

Please use next requests:

CREATE USER 'pmm'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'pass';
GRANT SELECT, PROCESS, REPLICATION CLIENT ON *.* TO 'pmm'@'%';
ALTER USER 'pmm'@'%' WITH MAX_USER_CONNECTIONS 10;

2 Likes

Hi @Vadim_Yalovets, thank you very much for those commands. I was able to complete the steps finally. :slightly_smiling_face:

Should I also run the following as per the documentation in the link?

GRANT SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE, DROP ON performance_schema.* TO ‘pmm’@‘%’;

1 Like

That depends on how you are intending to get Query Analytics data from your RDS instance. I believe by default we will use Performance Schema so I’d say yes (technically I believe you’ll get QAN data anyway as the grant you already ran gives select privs to read the tables but I believe PMM does some housekeeping that the other permissions in the second grant handle).

1 Like

Thank you for the technical explanation. Helps me to understand the reasoning behind that grant. Will go ahead and run that, too.

1 Like