I noticed that a brand new and idle instance of Percona Server is consistently using between 30 and 80%.
This is “Server version: 5.6.25-73.1 Percona Server (GPL), Release 73.1, Revision 07b797f” running on RHEL 6.3.
I created a brand new instance with mysql_install_db, and started the server. The only server options in my,cnf are port, socket, pid-file, datadir, and user. Nothing is coming out in the error log. It doesn’t seem to be modifying any files or any other IO.
Is this normal? Is there a way to find what it’s doing?
Have you tried a comparable version of Community MySQL to see if the results are the same? And is this on a VM? If so, what are the specs, and what else do you have running?
The plot thickens. If I do the exact same install step on some other server, but running RHEL 6.6, CPU usage is zero.
Yeah, could either be a bug then, or something wrong with the original server. I’d try installing MySQL Community Server and see if it has the same issue or not on the source server. That will narrow it down to see if it is an issue with Percona Server or not. If MySQL Community Server shows the same issue, then I’d try installing an older version of both and see if it does the same.
You can try Percona Server 5.6.26, we have fixed one bug related to CPU consumption.
Reproducing here a comment from CTO VadimTK from 2015-09:You can try Percona Server 5.6.26, we have fixed one bug related to CPU consumption.