I’m new to DBA so I want to ask a couple of questions about MySQL vs MSSQL.
- In MSSQL you have something called checkpoints. Checkpoints is used by the server as a maintanance tool to apply data and tidy up the database. Do MySQL have an equivelant and can you switch this off?
- MySQL V4 vs V5. Wich of these servers are the fastest and most reliable.
- MySQL V4/5 vs MSSQL 2000/2005. Which of these server will be the best to run a local server with ± 100 user with ± 7 db and a total of 10 - 15 Gigs of data(Cost should not influence the answer).
- Skip Locking. I see this in all the my.cnf files. What does it do?
- ODBC Drivers. On version 3.51.12 of the MySQL ODBC Drivers connecting to a V5 server the wait time for a connection is ± 10 - 20 seconds. On V3 it’s immediate. Why would this happen and what can we do to fix this?
Thank you for your help and this cool site.