Mysql tables are missing after setting up a second slave as 5.7 to 5.6 slave and master

Greetings,

After setting up a second slave as a replica following this thread How to setup a replica for replication in 6 simple steps with Percona XtraBackup I have encountered some issues.

I have followed the procedures as described in “Adding more replicas to the Source” .

I am currently running a master as mysql5.6 and already have a salve replicating from it with mysql5.6.
now… I have added an additional slave with mysql5.7 and was surprised to find the following errors in the log.

2022-12-24T12:01:55.915669Z 0 [ERROR] InnoDB: Table `mysql`.`innodb_table_stats` not found.  
2022-12-24T12:01:55.915688Z 0 [Warning] InnoDB: Recalculation of persistent statistics requested for table `database`.`table` but the required persistent statistics storage is not present or is corrupted. Using transient stats instead.

Does anyone have an idea as to what can cause these errors?
is it because I have added the additional slave with mysql5.7?

Hi MastaMike,

Do table “innodb_table_stats” do exist on your 5.6 instance?
When creating a new 5.6 instance it should be automatically created but not when upgrading from 5.5 as for example mentioned here: InnoDB: Error: Table "mysql"."innodb_table_stats" not found after upgrade to mysql 5.6 - Database Administrators Stack Exchange

Also, remember to run “mysql_upgrade” when upgrading to a newer binary.

Last, the procedure is meant for adding replicas with same/compatible binary version. If you are trying to setup a replica with a different major version (as in your case) you might hit issues like this which are not related to replicaiton/xtrabackup

Regards

2 Likes