mysql_install_db fail with userstats ON

Hi,

We’re currently doing some installs with the latest 5.5 release (5.5.24 Rel26)

We want to set specific directoires for datadir, innodb logs etc that are not the default, so prior to the rpm install we put our my.cnf in place.

The RPM install works fine, but we seem to have no DB.

I run mysql_install_db manually and it’s failing consistently with the following in the error log:

15:31:15 UTC - mysqld got signal 11 ;This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binaryor one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully helpdiagnose the problem, but since we have already crashed,something is definitely wrong and this may fail.key_buffer_size=8388608read_buffer_size=131072max_used_connections=0max_threads=400thread_count=1connection_count=0It is possible that mysqld could use up tokey_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_threads = 881213 K bytes of memoryHope that’s ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.Thread pointer: 0x19160250Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find outwhere mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something wentterribly wrong…stack_bottom = 41099e98 thread_stack 0x40000/usr/sbin/mysqld(my_print_stacktrace+0x35)[0x7a4c35]/usr/sbin/mysqld(handle_fatal_signal+0x4a4)[0x67fcc4]/lib64/libpthread.so.0[0x2adfeb9fbbe0]/usr/sbin/mysqld[0x621ec6]/usr/sbin/mysqld(_Z24update_global_user_statsP3THDbl+0x3c2)[0x6239b2]/usr/sbin/mysqld(_Z11mysql_parseP3THDPcjP12Parser_state+0xaa)[0x589ffa]/usr/sbin/mysqld[0x58c3cd]/usr/sbin/mysqld(_Z19do_handle_bootstrapP3THD+0x16a)[0x58c6aa]/usr/sbin/mysqld(handle_bootstrap+0x51)[0x58c731]/lib64/libpthread.so.0[0x2adfeb9f377d]/lib64/libc.so.6(clone+0x6d)[0x2adfec7a625d]Trying to get some variables.Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort.Query (19173760): use mysqlConnection ID (thread ID): 1Status: NOT_KILLEDThe manual page at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/crashing.html containsinformation that should help you find out what is causing the crash.

As soon as I remove userstats=ON from the my.cnf, it works fine, I can then put userstats=ON back into the my.cnf and I have no issues. Is this a known problem? Should I infact not be able to do this anyway?

We are using puppet for pushing this out and this little hiccup means an additional manual step that we want to try and avoid.

I’ve tested with userstats=ON and it works (Same version).

Could you please show us your my.cnf file and the output of “sh -x mysql_install_db”

Martin.

Hmmmm Interesting…

To clarify my steps…
Puppet creates some subdirectories in /var/lib/mysql
(data, iblogs, ibdata and binlogs)
/etc/my.cnf put in place - referencing these directories such as datadir etc
RPM’s installed
/var/liv/mysql/data contains empty mysql and test directories, error as reported was in the error log
manual run of mysql_install_db also produced same errors.

my.cnf as follows:

This file is managed by puppet#[mysqld]socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sockport=3306pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/mysqld.pid#skip-networking#log=/var/lib/mysql/logs/mysqld.genlog-error=/var/lib/mysql/logs/mysqld.errlog-warnings=1datadir=/var/lib/mysql/datawait_timeout=900interactive_timeout=900net_read_timeout=30#sort_buffer_size=1M#read_buffer_size=128K#join_buffer_size=128Ksecure_auth=1slow_query_logslow_query_log_file = /var/log/slowqueries/mysqld-slow.loglong_query_time = 5log-queries-not-using-indexesskip-name-resolvelocal-infile=0 # Disable LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE# InnoDB Storage Engine Specific Settingsinnodb_data_file_path=ibdata1:10M:autoextendinnodb_data_home_dir=/var/lib/mysql/ibdatainnodb_log_group_home_dir=/var/lib/mysql/iblogsinnodb_buffer_pool_size=2Ginnodb_additional_mem_pool_size=32Minnodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=2innodb_log_buffer_size=8Minnodb_log_file_size=128Minnodb_support_xa=1innodb_flush_method=O_DIRECTinnodb_file_per_table=1max_connections=400table_cache=2048query_cache_size=400Mquery_cache_limit=4Mthread_cache_size=300myisam-recover=FORCE,BACKUPgroup_concat_max_len = 49152max_allowed_packet = 6291456# Percona Settingsuserstat = 1 [mysql]prompt = \D\n\u@dbmon.gs2.nap:\d>_default-character-set = utf8

As I was doing this, I noticed we have userstat though, and you say userstats - I’m wondering if this is a simple typo causing the issue!!

Haven’t sent output of mysql_install_db as requested as I already have the database running and in the middle of some other work, once complete I will trash and rebuild to repeat the error.