How to upgrade XtraBackup from 2.4 to 8.0 ?

Hello all,

I am using CentOS 6.7 / XtraDB 5.7 / XtraBackup 2.4 and was wondering how to go an upgrade to XtraBackup 8.0 ;

It was initially installed using yum as in here:

But, if I go ahead and perform the following yum update it only wants to upgrade to 2.4.18-1.el6 :

If I try to install 8.0 directly, I get a conflict:

Now I believe the only way would be to remove 2.4 but if I try to do so, it wants to remove the XtraDB-Cluster package as well:

yum remove percona-xtrabackup-24.x86_64
…
Removing:
percona-xtrabackup-24
Removing for dependencies:
Percona-XtraDB-Cluster-57
Percona-XtraDB-Cluster-server-57

I read that removing a package without the dependencies is not advisable, so I am wondering what are my options?

Should I just create a new dedicated VM and install 8.0 on it and perform the backups from there? Is this advisable?

Thank you !

XtraBackup 8.0 is only compatible with Percona Server or MySQL 8.0. If you are using 5.7, you should be using the XtraBackup 2.4 series. They have the same equivalent features.

–
George O. Lorch III
Director of Server Development, Percona Server

Excellent ! thank you very much George.