How to transfer a MySQL database to a new server without downtime with XtraBackup

Hi, experts!
I have a MySQL 5.6 database server running. The database is large. I need to do a migration or transfer of a database online to another server, it will be mysql 5.7. I am planning on using XtraBackup Percona. How can I migrate the database step by step? What should I consider? What nuances can there be? Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to do this reliably and quickly? Maybe there is a script in which I have to specify ip addresses, data for connecting to databases and something else? I would be grateful for your help and a competent full answer.

1 Like

Hi @Pavel_Sh,
The best practice is to create a clone of your existing server and configure it as a replica of your existing server. Then, upgrade the replica to 5.7. After a period of checking (you decide), turn off old 5.6 and point applications to 5.7.

There are many guides/HOWTOs in our documentation for taking backups and restoring to new servers with PXB.

1 Like

Hi, @matthewb !
Thanks for the answer! This is great news. Please give me a link to a step-by-step guide, I will be very very grateful to you, friend! :muscle:

1 Like
1 Like