Do I need qpress for xtrabackup 24 on Ubuntu Focal

Hi,

I am migrating our CentOS 5.7 to Ubuntu 5.7. In Centos, we are using qpress with our xtrabackup. I installed percona-xtrabackup-24_2.4.28-1.focal_amd64.deb on our Ubuntu Focal. Do I need qpress? If so, where can I get it?

Thanks

Hi @Gabe,
Let’s get a few things straightened out. Firstly, there’s no such thing as CentOS 5.7, nor is there such a thing as Ubuntu 5.7. CentOS is currently on version 9 and Ubuntu is currently on 22.04.

Now, what I’m assuming you are meaning is that you have MySQL 5.7 (which does exist!) on some version of CentOS and you want to migrate to Ubuntu Focal (20.04).

The qpress utility is part of the xtrabackup-24 package. When you install PXB, qpress should get installed as well.

One last note, is that MySQL 5.7 dies in less than 30 days, so I hope you are also looking at upgrading to MySQL 8 soon. After you upgrade to MySQL 8, you will need to use xtrabackup-8 as well.

Hi Matthew,

I am glad you were able to decipher my shorthand correctly.

Thanks for the details. I’ll confirm that it was indeed installed with PXB.

Gabe

Hi again,

How can I confirm that qpress was installed? I do not see it in /usr/bin, and when I run “which qpress”, nothing is returned.

I just ran xtrabackup to see if qpress was mentioned in the help. It was not, but the .qp extension was mentioned:
xtrabackup | grep -i qp
xtrabackup: recognized server arguments: --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --tmpdir=/var/lib/mysqltmp --server-id=40519 --log_bin=/var/lib/mysqllogs/40519-bin-log --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --tmpdir=/var/lib/mysqltmp --server-id=40519 --log_bin=/var/lib/mysqllogs/40519-bin-log
xtrabackup: recognized client arguments: --user=root --password=*
xtrabackup version 2.4.28 based on MySQL server 5.7.40 Linux (x86_64) (revision id: 44a8f7b)
–decompress Decompresses all files with the .qp extension in a backup
–remove-original Remove .qp and .xbcrypt files after decryption and

As I mentioned prior, I installed this package: percona-xtrabackup-24_2.4.28-1.focal_amd64.deb

This is the Ubuntu version:
Distributor ID:Ubuntu
Description:Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Release:20.04
Codename:focal

Thanks

[root@19790e26a0f3 /]# percona-release enable tools
* Enabling the Percona Tools repository
<*> All done!
[root@19790e26a0f3 /]# yum install qpress
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, fastestmirror, ovl
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: download.cf.centos.org
 * epel: ohioix.mm.fcix.net
 * epel-debuginfo: dl.fedoraproject.org
 * extras: download.cf.centos.org
 * updates: download.cf.centos.org
tools-release-x86_64                                                                                                                               | 2.9 kB  00:00:00
tools-release-x86_64/7/primary_db                                                                                                                  | 171 kB  00:00:00
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package qpress.x86_64 0:11-3.el7 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

==========================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                             Arch                                Version                                  Repository                                         Size
==========================================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 qpress                              x86_64                              11-3.el7                                 tools-release-x86_64                               32 k

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total download size: 32 k
Installed size: 32 k
Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
Downloading packages:
qpress-11-3.el7.x86_64.rpm                                                                                                                         |  32 kB  00:00:00
Running transaction check
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded
Running transaction
  Installing : qpress-11-3.el7.x86_64                                                                                                                                 1/1
  Verifying  : qpress-11-3.el7.x86_64                                                                                                                                 1/1

Installed:
  qpress.x86_64 0:11-3.el7

Complete!

Whoops - my mistake. I’ll try again