--copy-back does not copy back ib_logfiles

I have prepared a backup and on --copy-back it copies back everything except the ib_logfile0 and ib_logfile1

Has anyone experienced this?

The output of the --copy-back says it copied them back…

innobackupex: Starting to copy InnoDB log files
innobackupex: in ‘/nfsvol5/largesingle5/mysqlbackup/percona-full_2012-08-01_2 1-00-01/db_backup’
innobackupex: back to original InnoDB log directory ‘/nfsvol1/largesingle5/mysql/data’
innobackupex: Finished copying back files.

120803 09:55:35 innobackupex: completed OK!

Those are the InnoDB redo logs, they are created by the MySQL server when MySQL starts back up so there’s no need to copy them back. At least that was the observation I had when I did a restore. See the entry below from the error log when our instance of MySQL was started up after a “copy-back” Percona restore (we set the file size to 64 MB in our my.cnf file):

120727 16:46:31 InnoDB: Log file /mysql/logs/logs/ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file /mysql/logs/logs/ib_logfile0 size to 64 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait…
120727 16:46:31 InnoDB: Log file /mysql/logs/logs/ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file /mysql/logs/logs/ib_logfile1 size to 64 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait…

OK - you are correct - I get the same behavoir.

Then why does the output say it is coping the log log files when it does not need them? I am not a DB nor a mysql expert - so this seems misleading.

I assume after the DB is started I can go ahead and apply binary log to get an to date DB.