Can I execute multiple backup commands on the same DB at the same time and store backup files to different paths?

I have deployed mysql on server A. I want to back up server A on server B. Seems like I can use the --host option to specify the IP of server A. In fact, I’m going to try it myself with this command in server B:
xtrabackup --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --user=root --password=xxxxxxx --socket=/etc/mysql/run/mysql.sock --slave-info --show-size --host=192.168.1.1 --port=22 --compress-threads=4 --stream=xbstream --compress --backup --no-version-check=1
Question 1: Does the --host support IPv6?
Question 2: Is the backup file stored on server A or server B?
Question 3: Can I execute multiple backup commands on the same DB at the same time and store backup files to different paths? will there be conflicts?

1 Like

Hello, xtrabackup has to run on server A in this case, and backup will be stored in server A as well. You can pipe the stream over the network so that it is stored directly on server B. Check out Streaming Backups - Percona XtraBackup
Also look at Streaming Percona XtraBackup for MySQL to Multiple Destinations - Percona Database Performance Blog for sending the backup to multiple places.

1 Like

Regarding question 3 - Xtrabackup take backup locks that cannot run concurrently with other DDL nor other backup locks.

1 Like