Backup: "Can't create/Write to file "F:\etc. etc.....

Hi all thanks for being there.

Status: Me - I am an absolute beginner - started 2 days ago!!

Apologies: For probably a question you folk have seen TIME AND TIME AND TIME again!! But for me this is only DAY ONE so excuse it please…

Programs involved: MySQL server version 5.0.22
Navicat Trial version 7.2.12 (Trial)
Navicat is a MySQL database server administration and development tool.

Both installed with all defaults and no database creation or otherwise by me at all. So here is a beginner just going in and “pressing buttons” to see how they respond.

Problem: Chose the already existing MySQL database which houses the help files. Went to New Backup and attempted to make backup. Error message came up and I have uploaded an image for you to see. It reads “Can’t create/write to file: F:\Windows\Temp#sql-654-0.myd” Error code 17.

What I did: Investigate the temp directory and found it had actually created the file. However when I returned to Navicat I could not continue because of this error. I had to return to the temp directory where I deleted this file. Then Navicat could be used again to locate databases. Have repeated this about 6 times since with similar messages.

Contacted Navicat who replied today and gave me a link to:

[URL=“http://MySQL Bugs: #9551: SHOW commands fail”]MySQL Bugs: #9551: SHOW commands fail

Went there and as you can imagine (with my 2 days experience) - yes you have guessed - I had not got a clue as to what was being discussed.

My observations: It just seems to me that this type of error message has been going around is this form for about 2 years - well a long time anyway!

If I cannot backup a completely new situation simply, what hope is there for me to make progress. So that is why I have come here because otherwise I just do not know where to turn.

Please if you can help me, can you do it in simple terms because I just do not know how to go about things like those advanced guys at that “bugs” link.

I am just surprised that 2 new programs installed by default just do not appear to be able to work together. If I had “fiddled” - then yes I would definitely feel some responsibility. But not at the present.

Many thanks for your kind assistance.
David
United Kingdom

I would move your mysql temp directory to somewhere other than Windows\Temp and exclude your anti-virus from scanning this new temp folder. Looks like the likely cause is anti-virus trying to read the file.

[B]linuxrunner wrote on Sat, 03 March 2007 12:15[/B]
I would move your mysql temp directory to somewhere other than Windows\Temp and exclude your anti-virus from scanning this new temp folder. Looks like the likely cause is anti-virus trying to read the file.

Thank you so much for responding. As a total newbie I have little idea where to look for my (mysql temp directory). But I have found references to:

my-medium.ini
#tmpdir = /tmp/

Is all that where I should take out the comment sign and say create a new directory like: F:\Temp

Then there are a number of other (ini) files. So a little confused confused:

Then do I have to use my Spyware Doctor antivirus and add that file to the exclusion list. Is this what I have to do please?

Sorry about my junior questions, but I am sure you will understand.

I suppose my main point is the WHICH ini file I should place this new temp directory. I am assuming that the comment sign above means that currently I have no temp directory and the Windows\Temp is being used by default from elsewhere within MySQL.

Thanks again for your kind help - much appreciated.
David
United Kingdom