10.0.17-MariaDB migration to Percona Server 5.7

we wanna migration database mariadb to percona server

(10.0.17-MariaDB migration to Percona Server 5.7)

can just replace basedir using percona server? and mysql_upgrade

or should mysqldump all data , and source to percona server

10.0.17-MariaDB upgrade to Percona Server 5.7 can using percona server mysql_upgrade?

I got a similar request, I need to migrate MariaDB 10.0.30 to Percona Server 5.7, can anyone assist with this question please?
Another 2 questions please:
should I migrate MariaDB 10.0.30 to Percona 5.6 first and then upgrade to 5.7?
can I use xtrabackup full backup of MariaDB 10.0.30 and restore into a Percona server

Thank you,
Ofir

1 Like

Hi folks, MariaDB 10 is based on MySQL 5.5, so you cannot directly upgrade to Percona 5.7 (cannot skip major versions). In addition to this, MariaDB 10 has some additional features, and the code base started to diverge so you cannot do a direct replacement of binaries or physical backup. My recommendation is to use mydumper to perform a logical backup/restore for the purpose of the migration.

2 Likes

Hello,

After migrating from MariaDB 10.0 to percona 5.7 (using mysqldump) the percona slave failed to replicate from the MariaDB 10.0 on the following temporal column format error:

Last_SQL_Error: Could not execute Write_rows_v1 event on table schema.table;
Incorrect datetime value: ‘S204-70-12 20:09:60.000’ for column ‘column’ at row 1, Error_code: 1292;
Corrupted replication event was detected, Error_code: 1610; handler error No Error!; the event’s master log
server001-bin.000023, end_log_pos 100260

What is the differences between mydumper to mysqldump (besides of efficiency and performance for big DBs)?
I already reviewed and aware of the temporal columns format issue,
What is the best approach to migrate from mariadb 10.0 to percona when I need to preserve the old temporal columns format for the replication to success? because when using mysqldump (and similar tools such mydumper) it creates new tables and it have the new temporal columns format.
Not sure if there is a way to replicate from mariadb 10.0 to percona 5.5/5.6 when preserving the columns format, xtrabackup does not support migration between mariadb and percona

1 Like

Using mysqldump in this case won’t work because tables in 5.7 will get created with the new date/time format. You will need to restore the dump in a 5.6 release, then upgrade it to 5.7 (use mysql_upgrade -s to avoid upgrading non-system tables). After that replication should work. Keep in mind this is not a supported scenario though.

1 Like