New Cluster with data

I downloaded Percona Server 8.0.26. I took an exiting backup and extracted the data. Did innobackupex --copy-back to the target directory (in the future I will use xtrabackup). When I start the mysql service I am getting the following error. Found partially upgraded DD. Aborting upgrade and deleting all DD tables. Start the upgrade process again.. Do I need to downgrade to mysql 5.7 restore, then get a mysqldump?

1 Like

It is impossible to directly downgrade from 8.* to 5.7. You must make a logical dump from 8.* (ignore mysql system database) and import the dump to a fresh 5.7 install.

1 Like

I am not trying to down grade from 8 to 5. My backup is from 5 and I restored that backup to 8.* directory and tried to start the 8.* service. When trying to start the service on 8 with data restored from 5.* I got this error. Found partially upgraded DD. Aborting upgrade and deleting all DD tables. Start the upgrade process again. . So I can’t go from 5.* to 8.* without doing a data dump then loading the data. I thought from one of the earlier messages you were saying it should be possible. I thought I could restore to percona server 8, but not Percona xtra cluster.

1 Like

You absolutely just said that you are trying to downgrade.

So I can’t go from 5.* to 8.* without doing a data dump then loading the data.

Incorrect, I never said that. You can absolutely upgrade from 5.7 to 8 without doing any backup/restore.

Start the upgrade process again

This tells me that you simply need to restart mysql again so it can rebuild things. Did you attempt this?

If you indeed do have a 5.7 backup, then I ask that you install Percona Server 5.7, restore this backup and validate everything works. If that works, then shut down this MySQL, remove 5.7, install PXC 8 and start up MySQL. This should upgrade your 5.7 to 8.0.23 and you should be good to go.

After you restore the 5.7 backup and BEFORE you start percona 5.7, check something. Look inside the datadir. Do you have mysql.ibd? Or do you have a mysql/ directory with many .ibd files inside? If you only have a mysql.ibd file, this 100% means your backup is NOT 5.7, but is actually an 8.0 backup.

1 Like

I have attempted this 4 times after restoring data to datadir and I get the same error. Found partially upgraded DD. Aborting upgrade and deleting all DD tables. Start the upgrade process again

After extracting the tar and preparing the backup. There is a mysql folder with alot of .ibd files. So it is 5.7 backup.
I am using a different mysql data directory not /var/lib/mysql. I mounted a drive. How does percona/mysql prepare the datadir? Does is prepare the data directory when you start the service?

1 Like

It does not matter where your datadir is, provided that you have edited /etc/my.cnf and correctly configured this parameter. If you mounted a drive, and did not reconfigure mysql to use this path, then that’s another problem you need to fix.

When you start mysql, it checks the configured datadir path for an existing setup. If none is found, it will initialize a new mysql setup (basic system tables, permissions, etc).

2 Likes

Thank you! I also benefited

1 Like