Development of a Mathematics Extension to PostgreSQL

I have finished waiting and going through both pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org as well as
pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org to find that no-one wishes to implement the specification for free, or seems any more interested. However, it seems that they don’t understand that I am trying to implement high precision values and their arithmetic, with non-floating point overflow and oferflow, with common mathematical functions, all in just two types for Integers and Rationals. I have access to two (2) sources that might be willing to implement what I have requested at some later time. Apart from the PostgreSQL email lists, is there no other direction I could be pointed to who could actively apprehend my request?

1 Like

Dear Matthew and Percona,

I have finished waiting and going through both pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org as well as
pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org to find that no-one wishes to implement the specification

for free, or seems any more interested. One thing that starts by confusing people id that I am

trying to implement high precision values and their arithmetic, with non-floating point overflow

and overflow, with common mathematical functions, all in just two types for Integers and

Rationals.

I have access to two (2) sources that might be willing to implement what I have requested at

some later time. Apart from the PostgreSQL email lists, is there no other direction I could be

pointed to who could actively apprehend my request?

Zachary Mitchell.

Z.M.

1 Like

Hi Z.M.

my advice here would be to go ahead and develop your idea and propose the code to the upstream community directly for review. Communities are not about “free” resources that someone can simply ask for or demand. If no one is jumping on that idea but you still believe this is a great addition, just go ahead and start implementing it yourself together with your “two resources”. This is how you engage in communities and how you may land your idea and code inside a project.

Communities are about “giving” back and not just “taking”, so my proposal would be - go ahead and start working on it, to give something back.

Kai

1 Like