XtraBackup and Centos 4

Hello,

I have a fairly large (120GB+) MySQL database (version 5.0.45-log) with a mix of InnoDB and MyISAM tables that I’m looking to migrate to a new server. The database is part of an OLTP application that cannot be taken offline for any significant amount of time so I’ve been investigating online backup solutions and came across XtraBackup which appeared to be a great solution.

However, as I began installing XtraBackup on my server, I realized that the latest versions only support Centos 5/6 and my database is currently running on Centos 4.

Some additional research led me to find an older version of XtraBackup (1.2) which DOES support Centos 4 so I was wondering if anyone had any experience using this version of the product on Centos 4 and if there are any red flags for doing this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Brian

Brian,

I can’t offer any insight with the older versions of CentOS/XtraBackup that you’re talking about, but I just finished a project of similar size and nature to what you described. I converted a MySQL 5.0.85 database of about 150G up to 5.5.23, including upgrading the base OS of CentOS 5 to CentOS 6. I discovered XtraBackup about a year ago and put it into place on the MySQL5/CentOS5 system, and it has been extremely useful. I’d be happy to share my experiences if they’d be helpful.

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave!