Using Group by in Full text search

Hi All
I am writing a query that would pull out results from a database using a fulltext search. The query goes like this

“select * from tbl_products WHERE MATCH(productname, productkeywords, product_description, productcategory) AGAINST (‘“Dragon shoes”’)”

The query executes well and I get relevant results. The problem is there are some duplicate products in the table and I dont want to delete them because I make use of them for comparison purposes. However I do not want duplicate entities to show up when searching. Using the query mentioned above I get duplicate products too. In order to get rid of the duplicates I modified the search query as follows:

“select * from tbl_products WHERE MATCH(productname, productkeywords, product_description, productcategory) AGAINST (‘“Dragon shoes”’) GROUP BY productname”

Here is the problem when I execute the 2nd query I get unique products but the search is not at all relevant. The least irrelevant result shows up first. But when I execute the 1st query the results are relevant but I see duplicate products.

IS THERE A WAY FOR ME TO USE GROUP BY OR SOME OTHER FUNCTION THAT WOULD PULL UP THE RESULTS WITH NO DUPLICATE ENTITIES AND NOT DESTROYING THE RELEVANCE OF SEARCH RESULTS…

So, You don’t use those products ? You could add new column: useable TINYINT.

Then You could use query:
SELECT
FROM
tbl_products t
LEFT JOIN
tbl_products t2 ON t.id = t2.id
WHERE
MATCH (t2.productname, t2.productkeywords, t2.product_description, t2.productcategory) AGAINST (‘words’)
AND
t.useable = 1

(id - primary key)

That should do it.

Thank you… This should work…