Server 1:
Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
Percona Server 5.5 Release 29.4

Server 2:
Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
Percona Server 5.5 Release 30.1

Both installed Percona via the apt repo instructions here:

percona.com/doc/percona-server/5.5/installation/apt_repo.htm l

Server 1 and 2 has their pid_file set to /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid to reflect what vanilla mysql does.

If I issue a sudo service mysql stop on Server 1, the server shuts down cleanly with no problem. If I do the same on Server 2, mysql will shutdown but it seems that the pid file is not being deleted on shutdown, so mysqld_safe will restart the server again rather than ending the script. On Server 2, I either have to manually delete the pid file and then issue the shutdown or kill the process that’s running mysqld_safe and then try shutting down mysql.

To fix this, I just leave out the pid_file setting in /etc/mysql/my.cnf, which defaults to /var/lib/mysql/thehostname.pid. That works perfectly fine and shutdown works correctly.

Permissions look the same on both Server 1 and 2 for all mysql-related directories and their parent directories. This suggests to me that there’s been a change between R29.4 and 30.1 where whatever shuts down mysql (the mysqladmin binary?) isn’t respecting the pid_file setting in my.cnf upon shutdown/deletion of the pid file.

I’m not sure if this is an issue that’s coming from vanilla mysql or percona server. Any ideas?

Have you checked whether selinux imposes some restrictions on server 2?

What I haven’t tried was installing Percona Server on a VM to test whether Mysql won’t shutdown properly on the VM as well. I just tried it and it works fine, so it looks like there’s nothing wrong with Percona/Mysql and that something’s just borked on my server (server 2.)

SELinux isn’t installed on the server, but at this point, I’ve made do with leaving the pid_file location as the default, which works, and I think I’ll just leave it at that.