XFS for MySQL

Hey,
I’m about to run a new a server, 10x256GB SSD Disks, i plan to use RAID5 (i know it’s bad, but that’s my only option).
I will have an adaptec 5445 raid controller with BBU.

I’m starting to test xfs on some hardware, it’s seems as it’s faster so i might opt for it.

i’m planning to create the RAID5 array with 16k chunk size, that makes me mount the xfs with sunit=32,swidth=320,nobarrier
mkfs.xfs -f -d sunit=32,swidth=320 , am i correct?
I will use innodb_flush_method = O_DIRECT and innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 1, i should be fine with that?

Thanks!

raid5 is pretty slow in writes (vs raid10) but still very good in reads. Question is how much write bound is your environment.

Don’t have much experience with XFS but I guess performance would not much differ from ext4. It would be nice to benchmark both with the same data/traffic.

I’m curious about SSD’s - did you test max read/write bandwith ? I wonder if your controller is able to use full SSD drives speed combined.

[B]przemek wrote on Mon, 18 October 2010 20:57[/B]
raid5 is pretty slow in writes (vs raid10) but still very good in reads. Question is how much write bound is your environment.
Do you have a source for that statement when a decent raid controller is used?
[B]Quote:[/B]

Don’t have much experience with XFS but I guess performance would not much differ from ext4. It would be nice to benchmark both with the same data/traffic.

I haven't seen benchmarks, but XFS is definitely faster.