use xtrabackup to backup data from Percona xtraDB cluster 5.7.23 to 8.0.19

hi,

is it say that xtrabackup can’t backup data from Percona xtraDB cluster 5.7.23 to 8.0.19?

someone tell me xtrabackup only between the same version of MySQL, just like rsync, is that correct ?

only mysqldump can do data migrate between different version of Percona XtraDB cluster ?

That’s not totally correct.

You should use Percona XtraBackup 2.4 to backup data from 5.7

and you should use Percona XtraBackup 8 to backup data from 8.0,

but if you want to migrate from 5.7, you can use Percona XtraBackup 2.4 to backup and then start Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0 on the data from backup, Percona XtraDB Cluster 8.0 will perform data upgrade automatically.

“Percona XtraBackup 2.4”

what is the correct path to download it?

so Percona XtraBackup 8 can read the backup by Percona XtraBackup 2.4, also have the backup prepared for restore and then we copy the whole restore folder over the pxc 8.0.19 data directory, then when pxc 8.0.19 start using this new data directory content, it will just upgrade everything accordingly ?

Percona XtraBackup 2.4 :

Download Percona XtraBackup 2.4

I would still prepare backup with 2.4 and then copy over to pxc 8.0.19 data directory.

ok!

tks.

“Percona XtraBackup 2.4 :”

so this can be installed on redhat linux 6.xx box with PXC 5.7.23?

but by this, it seems a lot easier than mysqldump ? by mysqldump can let me backup table schema + key + idnex only , data only and mysql logic only, right?

but it seems mysqldump can do multi threading too ?

Each tools has its own drawbacks and benefits. You need to decide what is more suitable for the task you are trying to accomplish.