root user doesn't have privileges for administration

I have a newly installed mysql instance.
I need to have the root user be the administrator.
Version is mysql  Ver 8.0.20-11 for Linux on x86_64 (Percona Server (GPL), Release 11, Revision 5b5a5d2)
Running in centos 7.8.2003(core)

I did a sudo start service mysql and that created all the data file/directories.
I log in as root to mysql but I have hardly any privs and cant even see the mysql database.

mysql> select current_user();±---------------+| current_user() |±---------------+| root@%         |±---------------+1 row in set (0.00 sec)
mysql> select user();±-------------------+| user()             |±-------------------+| root@i.p.edited out |±-------------------+1 row in set (0.01 sec)
mysql> show grants for root    -> ;±------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+| Grants for root@%                                                                                     |±------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+| GRANT USAGE ON . TO ‘root’@‘%’                                                                      || GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mplustemp.ExpertReviewLatestCompleteDates TO ‘root’@‘%’ WITH GRANT OPTION || GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mplustemp.LatestCompletingDates TO ‘root’@‘%’ WITH GRANT OPTION           |±------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+3 rows in set (0.00 sec)
mysql> select * from mysql.user;ERROR 1142 (42000): SELECT command denied to user ‘root’@‘130.14.165.30’ for table 'user’mysql> show databases;±-------------------+| Database           |±-------------------+| information_schema || mplustemp          |±-------------------+2 rows in set (0.44 sec)

@ipcmlr  I can’t seem to reproduce your case. I have the same setup running Percona Server for MySQL 8.0.20 on CentOS 7 and started the mysqld instance. Logged in and was required to changed root temp password.
I would suggest initializing the data directory after move the data directory since your setup seems like a fresh instance.

@jrivera thanks. It worked.
Looking back now I think it may have been something to do with me changing the root password and using mysql_config_editor for passwordless login.