How to use pmm2 dashboards & exporter in our existing grafana & Prometheus setup

Hi , 
i have a centralised grafana dashboard across vertical to monitor the metrics with diff data sources including
prometheus . i want to integrate pmm2 dashboard and exporter*  in our existing setup. i have imported all dashboards in our existing grafana with Prometheus datasource  and dashboards loaded successfully. Can you plz guide and suggest how can i use all pmm2 exporter in our existing setup so that no need to change the query format/variables under  pmm2 dashboards . 

1 Like

Hi,
Here is the list of labels with example data that have to be added in Prometheus targets in order to correctly process formulas in
dashboards.
    labels:

agent_id: /agent_id/6e726077-bd18-46f4-a4ba-4395d5e8c370

agent_type: postgres_exporter

instance: /agent_id/6e726077-bd18-46f4-a4ba-4395d5e8c370

node_id: pmm-server

node_name: pmm-server

node_type: generic

region: South Central US

service_id: /service_id/508b7436-584a-4b7f-9ec1-733a1a238ea3

service_name: pmm-server-postgresql

service_type: postgresql

1 Like

Thanks for the input . Already configured and it’s working fine except one dashboard  ( Home Dashboard ) . I’m getting an error while importing Home dashboard over grafana as panel plugin not found : pmm-update -panel . As per git repo , https://github.com/percona/grafana-dashboards/tree/master/pmm-app/src/pmm-update-panel this is not plugin , this  come from repo . Can you plz help me to resolve this dependency as plugin or alternate way . 

1 Like

I think you may just remove this pmm-update element from the Home dashboard. Anyway it has no functionality in your installation.
Here are steps for building pmm-app plugin and adding it into Grafana in case if you decide to keep the element.
# git clone GitHub - percona/grafana-dashboards: PMM dashboards for database monitoring
# git checkout PMM-2.0
# cd grafana-dashboards/pmm-app/
# npm i
# npm run build
# cp -r …/pmm-app /var/lib/grafana/plugins/
Restart grafana after a plugin installing.

Also the plugin can be taken from the package percona-dashboards (https://repo.percona.com/pmm2-components/).
Plugin is located in the next folder /usr/share/percona-dashboards

1 Like

Hi,
I am am same issue, where we have Standalone prometheus and grafana wanted to utilize QAN of PMM2 . Not errored due to plugin issue… As suggested 

I have download the below rpm … I need to copy only below files   to /var/lib/grafana/plugins/ ?
 rpm -qpl  percona-dashboards-2.6.1-14.2005181356.53769cb.el7.noarch.rpm
/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/50747258.png/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/Percona_XtraDB_Cluster.png/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/background.png/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/database.png/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/footer-logo.png/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/logo.png/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/mysql_64_black.png/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/percona-server-black-50.png/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/pmm-logo.svg/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/search.svg/usr/share/percona-dashboards/pmm-app/dist/react-plugins-deps/assets/sm-logo.png

1 Like

Hi Revana,
QAN requires connections to elements that are provided by pmm-server. So there is no chance to use the plugin without pmm-server. 

1 Like

Hi,

AS I menetioned earlier, We have dedicated Prometheus and Grafan server. We wanted to utilize PMM2/QAN for PostgrSQL Could please provide me details steps to configure ?

Thanks
Siddesh

1 Like

Hi,

Could please provide details steps ,
I have dedicated Prometheus and Grafan server running on bare metal server. We wanted to utilize PMM2 for PostgreSQl …

-Siddesh

1 Like

Below is what I have completed … I am unable to see any dashboards . Please help us on priority

1. Installed prometheus
  2. Installed percona-grafana
    rpm -ivh percona-grafana-8.3.5-95.2205101657.f666e10.el7.x86_64.rpm
  3. Installed percona-dashboards
    rpm -ivh percona-dashboards-2.28.0-15.2204281446.b497641.el7.x86_64.rpm

warning: percona-dashboards-2.28.0-15.2204281446.b497641.el7.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID 8507efa5: NOKEY
Preparing… ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing…
1:percona-dashboards-2.28.0-15.2204################################# [100%]

1. Installed percona-qan-api2

rpm -ivh percona-qan-api2-2.28.0-15.2204182342.ba60012.el7.x86_64.rpm
warning: percona-qan-api2-2.28.0-15.2204182342.ba60012.el7.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID 8507efa5: NOKEY
Preparing… ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing…
1:percona-qan-api2-2.28.0-15.220418################################# [100%]

1 Like

QAN isn’t available standalone and is tightly intertwined with PMM2. The dashboards alone is not going to be enough because the QAN data isn’t retrieved as part of normal exporters, there’s a special agent in PMM client that streams query data in buckets to PMM server from either (slowlog or perfschema for mysql or pg_stat_statements or pg_stat_monitor for postgres) only that data is not stored in Prometheus (victoriametrics for PMM), rather a clickhouse database bundled with PMM server.

So if you’re trying to cherry pick the feature and incorporate it into your existing Grafana/Prometheus you’ve minimally got to recreate that whole data retrieval and storage process and put it in a place your dashboard is going to look before your dashboard would even begin to come to life but even then there will be a lot of elements you’d need the rest of the client for (explain plans, tables view, etc). Not impossible but not something we would even support if you were a paying customer.

You’d almost have an easier time having pmm client run on your DB server sending data to a PMM server and exposing the clickhouse port from that PMM server then adding it as a datasource to your Grafana instance. Even then I don’t think you’d be able to import the QAN dashboards and they just work but you’d at least be able to build your own custom dashboard to show queries and such.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the quick response ,

Basically we dont want use Docker image of PMM2 , We want to install PMM2 on standalone servers. Could please help me on this …

-Siddesh

1 Like

Please can I have an example with psmdb.

I’m trying to use all PMM dashboards in my grafana and prometheus instance

1 Like