Not the answer you need?
Register and ask your own question!

Size of encrypted vs unencrypted backups

ferg22ferg22 EntrantCurrent User Role Novice
We recently tweaked our percona backup scripts to ensure the backups were encrypted. We see a jump in backup size from 163GB to 612GB
/usr/bin/innobackupex --safe-slave-backup --safe-slave-backup-timeout=120 --slave-info --user=XXXXX--password=YYYY --no-timestamp --encrypt=AES256 \
--encrypt-threads=4 --encrypt-key-file=zzzz /var/backup_mysql/mysql_20200114-enc.busy

This gave the 163GB file.

Vs the original command
/usr/bin/innobackupex --safe-slave-backup --safe-slave-backup-timeout=120 --use-memory=4G --apply-log /var/backup_mysql/20191209/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root pirum 163G Dec 5 14:44 mysql_20191205_135128.tar.gz

Is there anything obvious I have missed or something I need to do get get the file size down.

Regards and thanks in-advance.

Comments

• lorraine.pocklingtonlorraine.pocklington Percona Community Manager Legacy User Role Patron
    Hi ferg22
    ferg22 wrote: »
    This gave the 163GB file.

Vs the original command
    /usr/bin/innobackupex --safe-slave-backup --safe-slave-backup-timeout=120 --use-memory=4G --apply-log /var/backup_mysql/20191209/
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root pirum 163G Dec 5 14:44 mysql_20191205_135128.tar.gz

Is that the right way round?
    Meanwhile I will ask the team if they have any observations.
  • lorraine.pocklingtonlorraine.pocklington Percona Community Manager Legacy User Role Patron
    Something for you to check out. The second one is compressed, but compressing after encryption will likely not give you a great compression ratio. In this case, it would be worth you trying the compress option of Percona Xtrabackup (--compress ) to compress before encryption.

See how you get on?
  • ferg22ferg22 Entrant Current User Role Novice
    Thanks, I was so focused on pgp encryption, I had forgotten that encryption does not compress.  Adding --compress did the trick. Without compress my 268GB myisam db took 51min and was 256GB in size after taring, which took another 59min.

Using --compress --compress-threads=10 took 46min and a tar of the backup was 86GB which took 19min. A massive improvement, a third of the size and half he time.

Adding in the --parallel=1 and repeating the encrypted backup only affect the timing by a few seconds. I played about with several settings on my 56 core server and settled down on 

--compress-threads=10 --parrallel=10 --encrypt-threads=10
    Excellent! Thanks for the feedback :)