'yum upgrade' fails to execute the postinstall script of Percona-Server-shared rpm

Hello,

We are using Percona’s server-shared rpm to provide the /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient.so.18* libraries required to access a MySQL database. The problem we are facing is that while running ‘yum upgrade’ we are loosing the symbolic links libmysqlclient.so.18* in /usr/lib64 (that should have been created by its postinstall scriptlet)
The only solution we have is to manually re-install the rpm Percona-Server-shared-55-5.5.61-rel38.13.el6.x86_64. This works but it must be performed in a high number of servers and I was wondering if this is a known issue or/if there is a solution to it.

Thank you,
Cristina

Hello Cristina, thanks for your question.

So that I can get the right person onboard to look at this post, can I get a couple more pieces of information please?

1. Could you share with us the percona installed packages … you can get this info with rpm -qa | grep -i percona

2. Could you outline the steps you are taking in more detail… I have a couple of questions from the team on this, but a general outline might be useful too.

3. What package are you using to replace Percona-Server-shared-55-5.5.61-rel38.13.el6.x86_6 ? Since 5.5.62 is the latest release, is this the one that is removing the symbolic links? And are you creating the symbolic links for libmysqlclient.so.18* yourselves? You mention a postinstall scriptlet…

If I can get this info then hopefully I can get someone to review the issue and see if it’s a generic issue and/or if there is an alternative approach.

Hi again Cristina

I just wanted to let you know that one of our guys reproduced this issue but the engineer I need to consult with is out of office today. I will check back with him on Monday. If you can provide extra info, though, just in case he needs it, and you have the time to do it, that would be great.

Thanks!

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for your help!
To answer your questions:

1. We are using:
    Percona-Server-shared-55-5.5.61-rel38.13.el6.x86_64
    Percona-Server-shared-compat-5.1.68-rel14.6.551.rhel6.x86_64
    Percona-Server-client-55-5.5.61-rel38.13.el6.x86_64

2. Except that it happens while running ‘yum upgrade’, I don’t have other details.

3. We usually force reinstall the package and it is enough. The post install scriptlet will create the symbolic links.

Thanks again,
Cristina

Hi Lorraine,

I was just wondering if there is any update to this? Thank you for your assistance!

Cristina

Hi Cristina, I apologize I did have this on my to do list.

An update - this has been confirmed as an issue by our engineers, and it has been logged in our JIRA system as a bug. Here is the bug report [url][PS-5468] libmysqlclient.so.18 symlinks are missing after running yum upgrade on CentOS 6 - Percona JIRA and thank you for raising it with us.

They are currently determining if this is to be fixed at source or to provide a workaround. Because it is version 5.5. the priority is not as pressing.

However, if you have time pressure on you to find a fix for some reason, please update this and I will see if there is an already known workround that might help you on this occasion.

Thank you for the update, Lorraine!

The only workaround we have now requires a lot of manual work to re-install the rpm and a permanent fix would be very helpful.

Thanks again,
Cristina