Trouble installing on Ubuntu

Hi folks,

I’m having some considerable difficulty installing xtrabackup on Ubuntu.

The output of the installation command is :

apt-get install percona-xtrabackup-24
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
percona-xtrabackup-24 : Depends: libdbd-mysql-perl but it is not installable
Depends: libev4 (>= 1:4.04) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

My system is pretty much “bog standard”:

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

mysql --version
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.24, for Linux (x86_64) using EditLine wrapper
(This is hopefully obviously Oracle’s version rather than Percona’s and was installed with apt install mysql-server)

I’ve tried a number of ways of installing both libdbd-mysql-perl and.or libev4 however both have failed and I’m now struggling to comprehend what I may have done wrong.

For reference, I followed the instructions provided at [url]https://www.percona.com/doc/percona-xtrabackup/2.4/installation/apt_repo.html[/url] and:

wget https://repo.percona.com/apt/percona-release_0.1-6.$(lsb_release -sc)_all.deb
— snip for brevity —

[root@somewhere.fun] dpkg -i percona-release_0.1-6.$(lsb_release -sc)_all.deb
— snip for brevity —

[root@somewhere.fun] apt-get update
— snip for brevity —

[root@somewhere.fun] apt-get install percona-xtrabackup-24
— output as above —

I’ve tried a number of ways of installing both libdbd-mysql-perl and.or libev4 however both have failed and I’m now struggling to comprehend what I may have done wrong. Clearly my “Google-fu” has departed me.

Can anybody assist ?

Please note that this is a production server - actually a replication slave, however I’d rather not be forced into a reinstall of mysql etc as our database is several terra-bytes in size!

Many thanks

Hi,

Can you provide the error message(s) that you get when you try to install the ?

I’ve installed mysql-server-5.7 by using the upstream repo (), installed the percona repo package and installed percona-xtrabackup-24:

root@bionic:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

root@bionic:~# dpkg -l | grep mysql
ii libdbd-mysql-perl 4.046-1 amd64 Perl5 database interface to the MariaDB/MySQL database
ii libmysqlclient20:amd64 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database client library
ii mysql-apt-config 0.8.10-1 all Auto configuration for MySQL APT Repo.
ii mysql-client-5.7 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database client binaries
ii mysql-client-core-5.7 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database core client binaries
ii mysql-common 5.8+1.0.4 all MySQL database common files, e.g. /etc/mysql/my.cnf
ii mysql-server 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 all MySQL database server (metapackage depending on the latest version)
ii mysql-server-5.7 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database server binaries and system database setup
ii mysql-server-core-5.7 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database server binaries
root@bionic:~# dpkg -l | grep percona
ii percona-release 0.1-6.bionic all Package to install Percona gpg key and APT repo
ii percona-xtrabackup-24 2.4.12-1.bionic amd64 Open source backup tool for InnoDB and XtraDB

Can you also run the commands from above?

Certainly…

[root@somewhere.fun] apt install libdbd-mysql-perl
Building dependency tree
Package libdbd-mysql-perl is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘libdbd-mysql-perl’ has no installation candidate

[root@somewhere.fun] apt install libev4
Building dependency tree
Package libev4 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘libev4’ has no installation candidate

[root@somewhere.fun] dpkg -l | grep mysql
ii libmysqlclient20:amd64 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database client library
ii mysql-client-5.7 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database client binaries
ii mysql-client-core-5.7 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database core client binaries
ii mysql-common 5.8+1.0.4 all MySQL database common files, e.g. /etc/mysql/my.cnf
ii mysql-server 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 all MySQL database server (metapackage depending on the latest version)
ii mysql-server-5.7 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database server binaries and system database setup
ii mysql-server-core-5.7 5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 MySQL database server binaries

dpkg -l | grep percona
ii percona-release 0.1-6.bionic all Package to install Percona gpg key and APT repo

Do you have
Do you have any other 3rd party repository enabled that could obsolete this package?

Well that looked as if it was going to work nicely; both packages were installed in double-quick time after adding the universe repo. I guess I must have missed that in the documentation.

Anyway, installing the extra packages, then installing percona-xtrabackup; I seem to have a bug now.

[root@somewhere.fun] xtrabackup --user=root --password=admin --backup --target-dir=/backups --parallel=4 --rsync
190103 10:32:35 version_check Connecting to MySQL server with DSN 'dbi:mysql:;mysql_read_default_group=xtrabackup' as 'root' (using password: YES).
190103 10:32:35 version_check Connected to MySQL server
190103 10:32:35 version_check Executing a version check against the server...
190103 10:32:35 version_check Done.
190103 10:32:35 Connecting to MySQL server host: localhost, user: root, password: set, port: not set, socket: not set
Error: Unsupported server version: '5.7.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1'. Please report a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-xtrabackup

** Correction **

apt remove percona-xtrabackup && apt install percona-xtrabackup-24

Would appear to be the key. Looking at the ouput, it appears that percona-xtrabackup comes from Ubuntu’s repositories, whereas the -24 variant comes from Percona’s own repos - and this is the one that is/was required.

Many thanks for your help. Running a full backup now.