Ubuntu 18.04 (bionic) - percona-xtradb-cluster-server installation break

I can see that Ubuntu 18.04 “bionic” is not yet officially supported - there is however a working .deb repository available so it seems like it is very close to be supported?

Installing XtraDB cluster on Ubuntu 18.04 works without any problems following the suggested procedure (below) - however uninstall breaks.

Install procedure:
wget https://repo.percona.com/apt/percona-release_0.1-5.$(lsb_release -sc)_all.deb
dpkg -i percona-release_0.1-5.$(lsb_release -sc)_all.deb
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install percona-toolkit
apt-get install percona-xtradb-cluster-server
apt-get install xinetd
apt-get install python-pycurl
apt-get install python-mysqldb

With that, the single instance works - without problems it seems.

BUT:
apt-get remove percona-release percona-toolkit percona-xtrabackup percona-xtradb-cluster-server

FAIL:
Removing percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7 (5.7.20-29.24-0ubuntu2) …
dpkg: error processing package percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7 (–remove):
installed percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7 package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Removing percona-release (0.1-5.bionic) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Solution / workaround:
Spawn a new server and don’t expect to be able to upgrade / uninstall.

Any idea when this may be resolved - Or what I may be doing wrong to cause this?

/Niels

Hi there, thanks for the question. Just to clarify, it’s a supported release … the documentation needs updating. Sincerely sorry about that, it is confusing I appreciate. Meanwhile I will bring this to the attention of the relevant team and see if they have suggestions. Cheers!

Hi, I think I may have been a bit to fast when writing that all but the uninstall seem to work. I did not get to test the actual cluster function, just the stand-alone. Stand-alone, Percona XtraDB percona-release_0.1-5.bionic_all seem to work just fine but I cannot get the server to bootstrap using ubuntu 18.04 “bionic”.

It just hangs without errors in the logs.

Workaround for us right now is to stay on Ubuntu 16.04 until this is stable or the error / changes are identified.

Can anyone confirm to have a 3 node cluster running on Ubuntu 18.04 - and what changes in config needed?

Thanks

/Niels

Hi,

The uninstall issue is easily reproducible with the Ubuntu default package installed:

sudo apt-get remove percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libev4 libmecab2 percona-xtrabackup socat
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 104 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database … 257400 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7 (5.7.20-29.24-0ubuntu2) …
dpkg: error processing package percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7 (–remove):
installed percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7 package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Was this issue registered as a bug somewhere? Mind it also doesn’t work with the --purge option.

This is a workaround to have apt working again:
sudo apt install --reinstall percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7

This means there is no way to uninstall this package currently.

Reported here and a fix is eminent:
[url]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/percona-xtradb-cluster-5.7/+bug/1771869?comments=all[/url]

Well the latest fix of 29/5-2018 completely breaks the install.

Yesterday this worked:

wget https://repo.percona.com/apt/percona-release_0.1-5.$(lsb_release -sc)_all.deb
dpkg -i /tmp/percona-release_0.1-5.$(lsb_release -sc)_all.deb
apt-get update
apt-get install percona-toolkit percona-xtradb-cluster-server xinetd

But with the latest version .21 released yesterday 29/5-2018 everything falls apart:

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
percona-xtradb-cluster-server : Depends: percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Reverting to manually installing old cached .deb files

Sigh!

Please fix this soon!

Hi there ni3ls is it possible you mixed up the packages? Only you can’t have the distro package from Canonical installed at the same time as our own and if that’s the case, it’s probably where the failure is arising. The launchpad link documents Canonical’s PXC packages.

If this is the scenario you have, then you need to remove the Canonical package (yes, that’s a problem I realize) and then install ours from here [url]https://www.percona.com/downloads/Percona-XtraDB-Cluster-LATEST/[/url]

The workaround suggested by the team for the problem with the distro package is:

modify `/var/lib/dpkg/info/percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7.postrm` file.
add the second line `exit 0

If you need a better explanation, though, let me know and I will see if I can get someone from the team to clarify for you, as I don’t want to cause you more trouble!

UPDATE: - Workaround!

wget https://repo.percona.com/apt/percona-release_0.1-5.$(lsb_release -sc)_all.deb -O /tmp/percona-release_0.1-5.$(lsb_release -sc)_all.deb
dpkg -i /tmp/percona-release_0.1-5.$(lsb_release -sc)_all.deb
apt-get install libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl socat libmecab2 libdbi-perl libterm-readkey-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libev4
dpkg -i /tmp/percona-toolkit_3.0.10-1.bionic_amd64.deb
dpkg -i /tmp/percona-xtrabackup_2.4.9-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
dpkg -i /tmp/percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.7_5.7.20-29.24-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
dpkg -i /tmp/percona-xtradb-cluster-server_5.7.20-29.24-0ubuntu2_all.deb

Most likely these packages may be found in repo - I was lucky enough to have them in cache.

With the above packages we at least are able to continue development on our “all-in-one” development servers requiring Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic for PHP 7.2 (and other purposes) together with stand alone XtraDB (simulating cluster).

For staging and production we will stay on 16.04 until these packages have stabilised - easy as the clusters here are stand alone servers serving only XtraDB.

I hope you find a solution to this. This works for me and I will spend no more time on “hacking .deb packages” or similar solutions. I hope someone will respond once we may revert to simple apt installation :slight_smile:

PS - The unability to uninstall remain the same - but at least this broken version installs :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

Thanks for this update … it might well help someone else in a similar situation and, as you say, hopefully there will be a permanent fix in due course.