PMM Docker v1.1.2 not saving grafana.ini changes

Hello, all. I’ve tried following the blog posting here → [url]https://www.percona.com/blog/2017/01/23/mysql-and-mongodb-alerting-with-pmm-and-grafana/[/url] to enable SMTP settings in the Docker container.

However, upon restarting the container, my changes are gone. The file reverts to what it was to begin with. I did some digging on Docker (being a total neophyte to it) and found that perhaps doing “docker commit ” might do the trick. No luck.

How do I get the container to permanently save edits to the grafana.ini file?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Cheers!
-Jim

Hi Jim,

can you provide steps to reproduce?

the following commands working fine

% docker exec -it pmm-server vi /etc/grafana/grafana.ini
% docker exec -it pmm-server grep new-text /etc/grafana/grafana.ini
some-new-text
% docker restart pmm-server
% docker exec -it pmm-server grep new-text /etc/grafana/grafana.ini
some-new-text

Hi, Mykola. Sure, the steps I use are precisely as laid out in the blog post. When I try your commands, I get a strange “truncated” editing window that I’m unable to use or troubleshoot why it doesn’t work on my end.

The commands listed in the blog post don’t produce the desired results - that’s what my difficulty is. Once I’m able to save changes to that file, I should be fine. All Docker documentation I’m running across seems to say that this file should be an EXTERNAL one, passed with -v at container runtime, so I’m investigating if that will work.

Thanks for the help, Mykola. :slight_smile:

Cheers!
-Jim

Jim,

I think it is good idea, you can copy grafana config container to the persistent/safe directory on our server and mount this file inside docker container.
the following commands should work fine

docker cp pmm-server:/etc/grafana/grafana.ini some-persistent-dir
vi some-persistent-dir/grafana.ini
docker stop pmm-server
docker rm pmm-server
docker run -d -p 80:80 --volumes-from pmm-data --name pmm-server --restart always -v /global/path/to/some-persistent-dir/grafana.ini:/etc/grafana/grafana.ini percona/pmm-server:1.1.2