upgrade percona 5.5 to latest version of 5.5

I am writing since we have a percona 5.5 master -slave setup on our system. We had performed the package upgrade on ubuntu and it upgraded the percona 5.5 client and server on the slave before the Master. Once the master was upgraded it could not be accessed unless direclty on the command line. If we stopped the slave mysql then it would connect to the Master. I am wondering what would be the best recommendations on how to upgrade the client and server of the same major version with updates.

Hi dbeato;

Make sure to run mysql_upgrade, and also check to see if your my.cnf (or whatever config file you use) is still being used and was not overwritten.

[url]https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/replication-upgrade.html[/url]

-Scott

Thanks, I will be reviewing this. An upgrade of the slave before the master would cause the master to not allow connection after the master is upgraded to the latest version?

Hi dbeato;

It has to do with the upgrade of your master; either your config file was changed and is now preventing access, or your permission tables are not in a happy state and that is causing rejected connections.

So running mysql_upgrade should fix any possible permission problems, and then you’ll have to manually verify that the config file you use was not changed and that MySQL is actually using it still.

-Scott

Yes, that is what I suspected.