Backup -> Prepare -> Compress

Hi,

I want to make a backup, then prepare it (I guess with --apply-log) and then compress it. But as I understand it, compression is an option while making the backup, and then the backup cannot be prepared without decompressing it first.

I want my backup to be prepared and ready before I archive it. So that I don’t have to prepare it before restoring.
Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

If not, any recommendations for compressing my backup after doing --apply-log?

Thanks!

You can always compress the “prepared” backup with TAR or GZIP or any of the existing compression tools available on Linux.

Ok. Was curious if there was anything built into the tool to do it. Will do it the old fashioned way as you suggest. Thanks :slight_smile:

I’m also using the same process here and I’m compressing the backup using a tar.gz archive. Question is, if my backup is already prepared using the --apply-log option, do I need the xtrabackup_logfile in the archive anymore?

Hi Tony;

Once the backup is prepared, you do not need any of the Xtrabackup related files unless you want to save the binary log / position related files to setup replication later (i.e. xtrabackup_binlog_pos_innodb or xtrabackup_binlog_info).

-Scott