MySQL 4 Database Size

Hi,

I’m facing a problem:

Well, in MySQL 5 it’s easy to query the Information_Schema Database to retrieve the size of all the batabases of your MySQL5 instance.

What about MySQL 4 ?

I have still several MySQL4 instances containing informations that needs to be centralized. It’s 3 days i’m seeking through the web but I cannot find how to retrieve the datafile sizes of all my databases running on my MySQL4 instances using ONLY SQL. I’m turning crazy.

I can only SQL, and my boss doesn’t want me to create a bash file to do that job.

Please help me.

Regards.
Franck.

show table status:

Mmmh, not really, I should have given you more informations:

With that command I have too much informations. I don’t care about the name of the database, its size, row format, row count, average row size etc… I just want a unique information when I query the database: its size (index+datas).

Under a Unix based system, I would use the Grep command, but it has to be only SQL command.

Is it possible ?

you can try this query

go to mysql prompt

SELECT s.schema_name, CONCAT(IFNULL(ROUND((SUM(t.data_length)+SUM(t.index_length)) /1024/1024,2),0.00), “Mb”) total_size, CONCAT(IFNULL(ROUND(((SUM(t.data_length)+SUM(t.index_length) )-SUM(t.data_free))/1024/1024,2),0.00), “Mb”) data_used, CONCAT(IFNULL(ROUND(SUM(data_free)/1024/1024,2),0.00),“Mb”) data_free, IFNULL(ROUND((((SUM(t.data_length)+SUM(t.index_length))-SUM( t.data_free))/((SUM(t.data_length)+SUM(t.index_length)))*100 ),2),0) pct_used, COUNT(table_name) total_tables FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SCHEMATA s LEFT JOIN INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES t ON s.schema_name = t.table_schema WHERE t.engine = “INNODB” GROUP BY s.schema_name ORDER BY pct_used DESC\G;

for InnoDB engine

No. There’s no Information_Schema in MYSQL4 so you can’t query it.

But I’ve found a solution using the shell (it’s quite impossible without it because of No Information_Schema).

Here’s the code:

for i in echo "SHOW DATABASES;" | mysql_path -S mysql_db_socket --user=Username --password=password --disable-column-namesdo sumByDB=0 echo $i ------------------ for s in echo "SHOW TABLE STATUS FROM $i;" | mysql_path -S mysql_db_socket--user=Username --password=password --disable-column-names |awk '{print $6,$8}' do sumByDB=expr $sumByDB + $s done echo size is $sumByDBecho “insert into MYDB.MYTABLE (DATABASE_NAME, DATAFILE_NAME,DB_SIZE, CHECK_DATE)select ‘$i’, ‘engine’, ‘$i’,$sumByDB/1024/1024,0 , sysdate()” | mysql_path -S mysql_db_socket --user=Username --password=passworddone

And that works.

Regards.
Franck.