Binaries / Compiled

[URL]http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html[/URL]

“For maximum stability and performance, we recommend that you use the binaries we provide.”

Is that true? I always compiled my own MySQL (don’t actually know why, I just always compiled my own lighty, php and mysql).

Is there actually any performance gain?

Running debian stable Linux blabla 2.6.8-2-686-smp #1 SMP Tue Aug 16 12:08:30 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

Debian users typically do it, or using Debian package. Normally they are smart enough to do good builds, we had some issues with bad builds on debian as well however.

Using MySQL provided builds is more about Stability than performance. Using special compiler switches for your CPU model you typically can make MySQL even faster 1-2% but it increases chances of problems with compiler/GLIBC issues.

I’m just using

./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/sbin --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc/mysql --localstatedir=/var/lib/mysql --includedir=/usr/include --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-thread-safe-client --without-debug --with-unix-socket-path=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock --with-mysqld-user=mysql --with-embedded-server --without-docs --without-bench --with-extra-charsets=all --with-vio --with-charset=latin1 --with-collation=latin1_swedish_ci --with-extra-charsets=all

I don’t use any special compiler switches though…

Using Dual Xeons 2.8GhZ with HT…

This seems to be OK. At least nothing which catches my eye

Okay, thanks for your help!