Xtrabackup restore specific database from a full backup

Hi all,

1. I whould like to restore a specipic database from a full backup
  2. And also to be able to resore it to a certain point in time
    meaning after restoring the database from last night , i wouldlike to rollforword the database with binary-logs
1 Like

For

1. [url]http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2012/01/25/how-to-recover-a-single-innodb-table-from-a-full-backup/[/url] & [url]Percona XtraBackup
  2. [url]Percona XtraBackup

Let us know, if you have any followup questions on that.

1 Like

Hi mirfan,

I cannot find anything from your links that can help me restore a single database from an all-database backup. Two articles you referred only show how to restore a table. I really want to give xtradbbackup a try but the restoration part is a lot more complicated and hard to use than mysqldump.

1 Like

From percona xtrabackup tool if you need to recover one database from all databases backup. You can script it by automating the process for quick restore

1 Like

So… I don’t know where to post this, but I spent a bit of time working on a script to do just this. Restore one database with one simple command. It isn’t fully tested yet, but I’ve used it a few times now and it has worked perfectly each time. Feel free to repost and use this, claim authorship, I don’t care. I wrote it specifically for use by people that don’t know what they’re doing. People like me. Because I’m the kind of guy that likes to have to learn something once, script it, and forget everything but how to run the script I made.

I make zero promises that it’ll work with your version of mysqlfrm, your version of mariadb/mysql/percona or any other such foolish promises that it’ll work. But man… it works slick for me.

inno_restore_database.sh

#!/bin/bash

# Uses xtrabackup or innobackupex backup directories to restore an entire database.
# Author: Phil Buescher
# License: None - I release all rights to this ugly script to whoever wants to use it for any purpose.
# Requires: Valid xtrabackup/innobackupex restore point, logs applied/prepared. Suggest having rsync installed.
# 'mysqlfrm' from mysql utilities
# Testing extensively before trying on production (duh)
# All tables must be InnoDB - this does NOT handle MyISAM tables and it won't work if any exist in the backup dir.
# innodb_file_per_table=1 and innodb_import_table_from_xtrabackup=1
#
# Suggest you read up on mysqlfrm and its limitations. Suck to be missing foreign key constaints and all that fun stuff.
# Running 5.6? See comments starting at 118 and add cfg files to the for loop if you like.
#
# Usage: inno_restore_database.sh <db_name_to_restore_to> <db_backup_directory>

# Change the datadir if needed to the mysql datadir.
datadir=/var/lib/mysql

# Change the ports if needed. myport is what the current running mysql server listens on.
# mysqlfrmport is what the temporary server will listen on - just a port nothing else is listening on at the time.
myport=3306
mysqlfrmport=3310

# Give username and password for a mysql user with global CREATE, DROP, ALTER - making variables so this can be scripted easier.
# If you want to be prompted, comment the username and password. Otherwise uncomment and specify them.
#username=dbrestoredude
#password=dbrestoredudespasswd

#######################################################################################

# Gotta be root.
if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then echo "Run this as root" ; exit ; fi

# check for arguments
if [ ! $1 ] || [ ! $2 ] ; then
echo;echo "This restores one whole database made using innobackupex or xtrabackup,"
echo " but ONLY if ALL tables are InnoDB/XtraDB - any MyISAM tables will break this!"
echo "Requires innodb_file_per_table and innodb_import_table_from_xtrabackup set to 1."; echo
echo "Syntax: inno_restore_database.sh: <database> <restore_directory(backupdir)>"
echo "Example: inno_restore_database.sh: newdatabase /mnt/backups/1970-01-01_00-00-00/backupdatabase";echo
echo "Warning: THIS WILL OVERWRITE THE DATABASE YOU ARE RESTORING TO!"
echo "Ensure you set the datadir and mysqluser in the script!"
echo;exit
fi

database=$1
restoredir=$2

# Check for the mysqlfrm command
which mysqlfrm > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then echo "Could not find the mysqlfrm utility. Install mysql-utilities."; exit ; fi

# Check datadir for mysql install, figure mysql/user.frm should probably exist.
if [ ! -f $datadir/mysql/user.frm ] ; then echo "MySQL datadir not correct" ; exit ; fi

# Check the restore directory, looking for a cfg/exp/idb for each frm.
if [ ! -f $restoredir/db.opt ] ; then echo "Restore directory invalid, couldn't find db.opt in it"; exit ; fi
stoperror=0
for restorename in $restoredir/*.frm
do
chkname=$(echo $restorename|sed s/.frm$//)
for exten in cfg exp ibd
do
if [ ! -f $chkname.$exten ] ; then stoperror=1 ; fi
done
done
if [ $stoperror -eq 1 ] ; then
echo "Could not file valid restore directory files (need a cfg, exp and ibd for each frm)"
echo "Did you specify a valid database directory within a backup?"
echo "Did you prepare or apply-log to the backup directory?"
exit
fi

# Get username and password if the fields are blank.
if [ -z $username ] ; then read -p "Username: " username ; fi
if [ -z $password ] ; then read -s -p "Password: " password ; echo ; fi

# Check mysql permissions for the given user.
stoperror=0
grants=$(mysql -B -u $username -p$password mysql -e "show grants for current_user"|grep 'ON *.* TO')
if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then exit ; fi
if [[ $grants == *"ALL PRIVILEGES"* ]] ; then stoperror=1 ; fi
if [[ $grants == *CREATE* ]] && [[ $grants == *DROP* ]] && [[ $grants == *ALTER* ]] ; then stoperror=1 ; fi
if [ $stoperror != 1 ] ; then echo "User $username does not have global CREATE, DROP and ALTER" ; exit ; fi

################################################################################
# Okay, all the user-error logic I can think of is out of the way, finally time to script this.

# drop database if exists
mysql -B -u $username -p$password -e "DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS $database"

# create database
mysql -B -u $username -p$password -e "CREATE DATABASE $database"

# get directory for the original DB name
backupdb=$(find $restoredir -maxdepth 0 -type d -printf "%f\n" |cut -d '/' -f 1)

# Import the table structure, create them all. Gotta massage the data a bit from mysqlfrm.
echo "Importing create table statements from frm files..." ; echo
mysqlfrm -q --user=root --server=$username:$password&#64;localhost:$myport --port=$mysqlfrmport $restoredir |
grep -vE "^#|WARNING: Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure." |
sed s/^$/';'/ | sed s/^'CREATE TABLE `'$backupdb/'CREATE TABLE `'$database/ |
mysql -B -u $username -p$password
echo "Table structure imported."

# for each frm file...
for frmname in $restoredir/*.frm
do
tablename=$(find $frmname -printf "%f\n"|sed s/.frm$//)

# ALTER TABLE ... DISCARD TABLESPACE - junks those pesky datafiles we don't want.
mysql -B -u $username -p$password $database -e "ALTER TABLE $tablename DISCARD TABLESPACE"

# Copy each table's cfg/exp/ibd files to datadir and chown them.
# Note: I don't need cfg files, you might want to add them for 5.6.
# Not including them because mysql won't delete them on drop database.
for exten in exp ibd #cfg
do
# If they have rsync, let's use that to give them progress. I'm sure some of those datafiles are large.
which rsync > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
rsync --progress $restoredir/$tablename.$exten $datadir/$database/$tablename.$exten
else
# Damn, I wish I knew the backslash trick earlier in my life to unset an alias, that's handy!
\cp -v $restoredir/$tablename.$exten $datadir/$database/$tablename.$exten
fi
chown $(find $datadir/$database/$tablename.frm -printf "%u.%g") $datadir/$database/$tablename.$exten
done
# ALTER TABLE ... IMPORT TABLESPACE
mysql -B -u $username -p$password $database -e "ALTER TABLE $tablename IMPORT TABLESPACE"
done

echo
echo "All done. Hopefully that worked, huh? No promises."
echo "You're probably missing foreign keys and such. Better check. Read the mysqlfrm docs."
echo "Hopefully you imported into a test database first so you can check it, right?"

1 Like

Any changes on this question? Things looks complicated.

I can backup one DB from my server, but how to restore full DB back?

Mysql 5.7
Xtrabackup 2.4.1

1 Like

I know this is a really old thread, but I have been thinking about this problem lately. If I need to do a restore like this (a single database) won’t the solution like altphil proposed above mess up replication (assuming I am using replication)? What is a good way to do a restore such that the replicated slaves are also restored?

1 Like

Sorry for pulling this old thread out of the grave, but I still have this issue. I currently take full backups of all databases, but I can’t find any possible information of how to restore only an entire single database. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

1 Like

Hi
I am also looking to do a restor of a single DB from a FULLbackup. But I didn’t find any information for that.
Nobody found any information about this topic?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi, to restore only one db you can follow the process documented to restore a single table, and repeat for all tables of the db you want to restore.

1 Like

Hi ,

Thank you for the quick answer, I will take a look.

1 Like

What about the other objects in the database like views and stored procedures? A database consists of more than only tables…

1 Like

Here is an alternative way: load the dump into a server and dump the database with mysql_dump. This can be done in a docker:

prerequisites:

• a machine with docker (tested on Windows in WSL Ubuntu)
  • xtrabackup installed
  • dumpdirectory locally available

commands:

DUMPDIR=directory_containing_dump
ROOTPASS=somepass
DATABASE_TO_EXTRACT=databasename

xtrabackup --prepare --apply-log-only --target-dir=${DUMPDIR}

docker run \
–name perconadocker \
-v ${DUMPDIR}:/var/lib/mysql \
-e MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=${ROOTPASS} \
-d percona

docker exec \
-it perconadocker \
mysqldump -u root --password=${ROOTPASS} ${DATABASE_TO_EXTRACT} \
> ${DATABASE_TO_EXTRACT}.sql

docker stop perconadocker

now the database is available in a SQL format

1 Like

After some more testing I made some changes (and finally found a way to reset the password in a docker-based Percona…)

DUMPDIR=directory_containing_dump
ROOTPASS=somepass
DATABASE_TO_EXTRACT=databasename

xtrabackup --prepare --apply-log-only --target-dir=${DUMPDIR}

echo "ALTER USER 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY '${ROOTPASS}';" > ${DUMPDIR}/resetrootpass.sql

docker run 
--name perconadocker 
--mount "type=bind,src=$(pwd)/${DUMPDIR},target=/var/lib/mysql" 
-d percona:ps-8 
--init-file=/var/lib/mysql/resetrootpass.sql

docker exec \
-it perconadocker \
mysqldump -u root --password=${ROOTPASS} ${DATABASE_TO_EXTRACT} \
> ${DATABASE_TO_EXTRACT}.sql

docker stop perconadocker
1 Like