Fails to fully backup or prepare

Hi,

I have a strange thing happening with some of our servers that I use xtrabackup on. First I run the command ‘innobackupex --user=root --password=xxxxx /backups’ and it does some backing up and file copying but the resulting files are only half the size of the database. Even if I ‘rm -rf /backups/*’ and run another backup its the same result.

The second thing is I can never get the apply-log to work it gives an error that says ‘This target seems to be not prepared yet’ and ‘InnoDB: Operating system error number 2 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means the system cannot find the path specified.’ and ‘Fatal error: cannot find ./xtrabackup_logfile.’

Anyone know whats going on here?

John

Do you have multiple MySQL instances on the same server? The first issue sounds like it may be backing up another data folder that you are not intending.

What is the command you are using for the apply-log step?

No, none of these servers are running multiple mysql instances and the mysql versions are mysql-server-5.0.45-7.el5 on CentOS 5.2.

We’re using innobackupex to backup about 4 systems. Three of the systems are running xtrabackup-1.6.5-328.rhel5 and I tested xtrabackup-2.0.0-417.rhel5 on one.

On 2 of the servers the the size of the backup folders matches the size of the database folders in mysql and the apply-log seems to have no problem.

On 1 the sizes match but apply-log fails and on the last a 16GB database comes out in backup as 89M, a 6.5GB database on the same server is 4.8G

All of the servers are configured the same and mysql lives in /var/lib/mysql

Its almost as if some of these servers are stuck on doing only incremental backups, is there a setting somewhere to reset this?

The error message on the failed servers during the apply-log phase says " xtrabackup: Fatal error: cannot find ./xtrabackup_logfile." On the servers that suceeded there are 5 files:

xtrabackup_binary
xtrabackup_binlog_info
xtrabackup_binlog_pos_innodb
xtrabackup_checkpoints
xtrabackup_logfile

on the failed ones there are only 3:

xtrabackup_binary
xtrabackup_binlog_info
xtrabackup_checkpoints

The apply-log command I’m using is ‘innobackupex --apply-log /backups/2012-06-16_02-42-44/’