messed up defaults config for mysql script after installing server-5.5? [ubuntu10.04]

Hi everybody,

I’m new to percona server, I’ve just done my first installation of it.

Basically what I did was first, forget to shut down mysqld, and then simply do

apt-get install percona-server-server-5.5

The installation sort of failed in the end, after entering a password, because of course it refuses to start up another instance since a mysqld process is already/still running.

(Shouldn’t the install routine handle this kind of stupid mistake, i.e. shut down the previous version of mysqld by itself?)

Maybe that’s why I’ve had the following problems then. Which are:

1. It seems that even though my /etc/mysql/my.cnf was overwritten by the install (I chose that option at least), the /etc/init.d/mysql script uses the defaults in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf, and that debian.cnf had a different setting for socket (/var/run/mysqld/mysql.sock) vs the my.cnf (/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock).

2. It was also similar with the pid-file setting.

For now I’ve had to correct the settings by adjusting the /etc/init.d/mysql and /usr/share/mysql/debian-start.inc.sh to use the /etc/mysql/my.cnf as --defaults-file setting rather than the /etc/mysql/debian.cnf one. Otherwise I just couldn’t get it to work.

Is there something wrong in my thinking? Should I simply try reinstalling? Should I paste the relevant contents of the mentioned files?

Most likely there’s just something wrong in my mind, so I’d appreciate any helpful insight from you guys. I’ve been doing some Linux/Ubuntu sysadmin stuff for a couple of years, but I’m still far away from being professional in this area.

Thanks

• Denis